Sunday, March 6, 2011

Promises, Promises...

I am going to make a promise right now, "I, Amber, will never ever in a million years own a Kirby vacuum." You're probably rolling your eyes right now, and I get that, I mean, Geez, another post about vacuums? What's with this girl? Well, I'll tell you.

A Kirby in-home demonstrator stopped by the other day and I let him in to do his little show. You know why? Because he promised to shampoo one room for free in exchange for my time. And I REALLY wanted the living room carpet cleaned and figured with my steely resolve against all sales shenanigans I was golden. And I am. Rest assured, no Kirby was purchased. (Just setting the stage). AND, as a side note, RyGar came through in a huge way and got Mama the Dyson Animal for her B-Day.
I think I'm in love. With Ryno AND the Animal.


But let me tell you why I still hold a little grudge. I said to the infamous Kirby guy, "Yep, just vacuumed this morning." And he proceeded to pull out his sparkly clean filter thingies and re-vacuum my living room and about thirteen filters later, he nods and says, "Yep, this vacuum sure did pull a lot of dirt out of your newly cleaned carpet."

Punk.

He did the baking soda test to show how my vacuum left piles of the powdered stuff and his didn't, and he dusted my curtains with one of his "superior" attachments. Then he cleaned a section of my tile and grout after rudely pointing out some "stains and spills". Really? Wow, there's nothing like buttering up your potential customer by making them feel like a gem of a housekeeper. Maybe you should try to clean up after two toddlers eat their lunch after a trip to the freakin' DMV and we'll see how your tile looks. I mean, really, re-evaluate your sales strategy. Just sayin'.

Bottom line, an hour and a half later my carpets WERE clean and shampooed and still damp (despite all carpet cleaners' claims that they will leave no residual moisture.... let's all agree that is the most commonly told lie amongst all carpet cleaning companies.) And I had said, "No Thanks" to Mr. Kirby at least 29 times.

Sigh. Was it worth it? Not sure, but complaining about it online (as lame and pitiful as it may be) sure has made me feel better.

And a few more weekend highlights...

1. Got this amazing little charm necklace for my big day from my boys. It has my little guys' fingerprints and their names etched in silver. I kinda bawled.



You can see the whole collection at:
www.tinasteinberg.com

2. Got a date with RyGar and actually saw a funny movie (we were currently in a crappy movie slump). "Just Go With It" gets two thumbs up from us and so do Caramel Apple Sugar Babies - Yum.

3. Saw Wyoming get "Jimmered" at the Y's last home game and the student section did one of those flash mob dances all choreographed and awesome. It was fantastic.
You can see it on YouTube.


4. Went to nursery with Kaelster. That boy loved it week one, but he is still deciding if it's his bag of chips. I helped my neighbor out by being her assistant today and he did awesomely. He particularly enjoyed steam-rolling this poor little guy.


5. Watched Dax Man almost entirely abandon the "Army Crawl" for all fours and flights of stairs. Houston, we are GO for launch 'round here.



Well, sorta... we have no clean clothes since I abandoned all other motherly duties... but that's what Mondays are for...
:)

4 comments:

The Venutis said...

Happy Birthday! : ) I too have sat through and told a Kirby vacuum salesman no 29 times. It was not an enjoyable experience! I love dysons too.

Cami said...

Seriously I let one of those dudes in my house and to get him out was not pretty...It's still a sore subject at my house:( All I wanted was my free room cleaned but when he wouldn't leave I hid in the bathroom while Ryan had to tell him NO 1000 times hahaha

I love your necklace Very Sweet Happy 31!!!

The Belnaps said...

I got caught in with a rainbow saleslady..and even agreed to it..until later that night when I came to my senses..called her..and re-nigged (sp) on the whole thing
PS..the song playing on your blog is my cuz..love her WHOLE Cd..and so do my girls

Jen McGill said...

Oh, Amber! I love your vacuum blog entries but mostly because you make me feel a little less insane with my own OCD cleaning traits. ); Happy Belated birthday, lovely!