Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Juvenile Delinquent...


Well, this morning didn't go as I had planned. We were up bright and early to prepare for our Daddy-o's homecoming. We had business to tend to and off we went at 7:30 in the morning to run our first errand.

Upon arriving home I got Kael out of his car seat and let him sit behind the wheel for a few minutes while I unloaded Dax. I picked up little man and began to pack him into the house when I heard it. The unmistakeable "click" of the power lock button in the truck. Whoops. I had Dax in my arms but no diaper bag. Which meant that the diaper bag WITH the keys was in the truck with my little Kaelster. And here's the worst part... RyGar had his keys (for who knows what reason) with him in Europe... a fact I was already aware of.


I sat Dax down in the living room, started a little movie and gave him a jar full of puffs to snack on - should be A-OK for a while. And out to the garage I went to try to talk Big K into pushing the unlock button. He loves to push buttons and he loves being in the driver's seat, shouldn't be too hard, right? Wrong. Fifteen minutes later the mirrors had been adjusted, the hazards were on, but the doors were still locked and I was beginning to sweat. So I broke down and called the non-emergency police line for our city. Holy freakin' embarrassing. I explained the situation and literally within five minutes the officers were there. They were so sweet and assured me that I was not the only mother in the world to ever pull this little stunt. Maybe not but I still felt like I deserved to be grounded.

Alas, the Chevy dealership arrived to save the day with their unlocking gadgets of all variety and by this time, Big K was not about to push anything. It wasn't funny anymore and there were two little streams of tears running down my Kaelster's big cheeks. The magical sound of unlock rung through the air and there was my little crying bundle all hot and sweaty in my arms. Poor kid.

Lesson learned.... NEVER live life without a spare key. Do not underestimate the power of a young 'en, and if you are interested in not becoming the talk of the 'hood, don't do stuff that requires the summoning of multiple police cars before 9 am. :)

And to all the good officers of the world... You are amazingly patient and kind. Let's face it, NO ONE calls you with good news or a brilliant move that they made... it's always the "oops" moments and you still arrive with a smile. THANK YOU!

And here's wishing a happy hump day to all of you too!

7 comments:

The Belnaps said...

how you were out the door at 730 am with the two babes is beyond me..and sophie locked herself in the walmart parking lot while the car was running. Genius! It's great to have an audience when you are yelling to have a 2 year old try to push buttons..had to have nate come with the spare..

Mel said...

What's that bill gonna cost ya?!
I'm lucky if I get out of bed by 7am! :-) Wow, you are AMAZING!
I'm sure those officers were needing something to do to burn some time!! ha! Glad everything turned out A-OK!

Chrystie said...

Oh no he didn't! Poor Kael (and poor mom!!). I can't believe you were ready to leave the house at 7:30...I am NEVER out of my jammies by then.

The Sutherland Family said...

Alli's done that too and both sets of keys were in the car. Luckily she was old enough to follow directions a little and push the unlock button. And I think your crazy to be up and ready by 7:30 am with two babes, but I give you props!

Unknown said...

... all the while Dax pounds down a jar of puffs without a care in the world. :) Glad you are all safe!

Liz said...

Lily's locked herself in while I was scrubbing the yuckies off the front of the car before going in the carwash & even worse, when she was an infant, I was putting her car seat in the base and I kept hitting the panic on my keys so I shut it off & threw them in the front seat. It was after I shut her door and tried to open mine that I realized I hit the lock button to shut off the panic. Every mom has done it, at least once. It's all part of the breaking in process of being a great mom! :)

Ryan and Amber said...

Ya'll are nuts to think that I had showered and primped to normal standards. I said up and dressed... that means jeans, hats and a little mascara and gloss. Sheesh... crazies! :)