Monday, December 31, 2012

Squish...


I'm just coming out of a blitz of sorts.  I recently had the insane impulse to purge which was probably a by product of spending lots of time at home while the nasty cold virus worked its way through our little ranks.  That coupled with the need to find new homes for new toys and take down the old tannenbaum and satisfy an O.C.D. tendancy to start 2013 all nice and clean.

Anywho... The storage room was looking more like a dusty old corner of a nineties collector's store and my kids were starting to use the "dark room" as the stage for their daily "treasure hunts" and they would come back with the most random of all objects.  Things I didn't even know lived in the dark room.

So - ever the gal o' action... I tackled her.  I was loading end tables and bed frames and all kinds of large objects like a female Paul Bunyon while my big and little boys worked their way through boxes of Puffs Plus and watched "Mater and Lightning" for the eighteenth time and I done rid the storage room of all things even questionably surpufluous.  

I have bags of baby clothes that are either going to friends or sisters or a thrift store somewhere because... as I've recently discovered about myself... I don't like to hold on to "stuff".  I am not sentimental about those home made dollar store Christmas stockings I made when RyGar and I lived in our first apartment or those little moccasins that were an impulsive splurge when my arms didn't even have a baby whose chubby toes would fit snuggly into them.  Which is strange because at the time, those little puff painted monogrammed stockings made my heart swell and I would instinctively gaze at my wedding ring every time they caught my eye.  And those tiny leather moccasins brought tears to my eyes whenever my fingers rubbed their soft suede.

I swear,  I'm not a cold blooded gal... I have feelings, but I guess I done growed up a little bit and I have come to the realization that "things" are just things that sometimes we try to squish into storage bins, but those darn things just don't hold memories like my heart or my mind.

They don't shape my memories even if they were a part of them... and can I say that I'm glad?  Because with three boys who tote around mini-cars, "guys" and tiny animal figurines just to go down for a nap - well, you can see as well as I can that there is enough hoarding going on for all of us.

Anyway, I think the anti-squish project is part of my over arching New Years goal.  I would like to more fully purge extra stuff in life and just focus on what really matters.  My darling family.  Being patient and kind and good and healthy and strong.  Being alive and happy and productive but also more flexible and willing to shove aside the to do list when life calls for it.

And that is what lucky 2013 is gonna be all about.
The good stuff.  The amorphous stuff that can't be squished or collect dust in a corner... 


Here's to forging our way into a happy New Year! 
Cheers. Chin Chin. Swig. 
:)

1 comment:

The Belnaps said...

right there with ya..although we all know i am anything BUT a hoarder..maybe a little too extreme on the throwing out of stuff..specially if you ask ol nater..but I too cleaned out the storage room as I put away the xmas boxes..love that lighter feeling..hope your holidays were fab!
We are on round 2 of ear infections and croup..