Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tradition Take One...


I'm kind of riding a big old Christmas wave right now, so just go with the total holiday overload, eh and do pardon the Santa/Reindeer/Snowman PJs that you see in bulk.

Oooo-KKkkk - Let's begin now...



Big K made a paper Christmas tree at Preschool and "Miss Cimi" gave him a baggie full of enough stickers to place one sticker on the tree every day until Christmas.  It was such a cute idea and he was pretty excited about the whole process.


Well.... the next morning after we got all dressed and ready, I asked Kael,
"Should we put something on your Christmas tree?"

And Dax Man jumped up and yelled,
"YES!  Wet's put somethin' on my Christmas tree, Mom!"
And his little legs high tailed it into his bedroom where his jaw dropped open and he stood open-mouthed/grinning at his very own tree atop his dresser.


Whoopsie Daisey....
(Yep, I say that because I'm an old soul or something like that.)



Kaelster saw that Dax was totally trumping his little paper tree on the fridge and he too ran to his room to stare at his very own Christmas tree and wonder what magical thing this ditzy mama was about to produce to trim his very cute lit but bare little tree.

And so, let's fast forward to a trip to the dollar store shall we?


We now have a brand new tradition where every day leading up to Christmas we get to put one ornament on our very own trees in our very own rooms in the very fashion our little hearts desire.  And if I do say... it's VERY adorable.



Thus far, the collection includes a miniature horse, a Snowman from Daddy-o, an oversized plush reindeer, a couple of darling collector Santas from Grandma Jan, who must have had a crystal ball to see that one day we would be in need of personalized ornaments for personal sized trees... and one mangy looking football bear + one silly little basketball bear + a white haired toy soldier from the depths of the storage room on that initial fateful day.
(The one where I was sweating and frantically digging through Christmas Rubbermaid bins).

And you know what?  I kind of love it.
All of it.
(Especially how they look in their beds under the glow of the lights)



I think sometimes those completely impromptu, unplanned little moments become some of the most memorable.  Which is why Martha Stewart and her perfectly quaffed everything is just not up my alley.  I do like me some gorgeous doilies on a beautiful Christmas package, but really, it can't all be perfection, Miss Martha... take it from me... your antithesis here in the Rockies.



So thanks to my little men, for creating our little holiday game.  I love the way you make up the rules to our holidays as we go.  I love the way we're decorating your trees one day at a time.  I love the TOTAL and COMPLETE joy this little exercise brings to you, and in turn, brings to me and your Papa Bear who is about to arm wrestle me to see who gets to hand over the surprise ornaments tomorrow morning.  I should have suggested a "toilet scrub competition" or something else that would so obviously have me coming out the victor!  


Until then, little elves of ours, Nighty Night.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

i for one love all the christmas jams, cuz i know they be coming my way shortly! ;)