Wednesday, January 5, 2011

There's No Place Like Home...


I'm sporting my own version of the famous "Ruby Slippers" a lot these days. Mostly because it's January and we're home - A LOT - and I'm working on various home projects and smiling despite the oppressing inversion.


My Mother-In-Law, being the wise and sassy woman that she is, told me that long ago she accepted the fact that January is her "monochromatic month". She plans on shades of gray and lots of time in her warm home and she has taught herself to appreciate the diversity of it... as little as there may be. Talk about literally finding the silver lining in a month that proves to be a long cold one time and time again.

Anyway, we're spunking it up a little around here. Creating our own blasts of color as best we can against the dark sky scape and despite the fact that my right hand, also known as my camera, is in for repairs... so I'm REALLY stretching to find magic in my little Olympus handheld. Look, I'm no pro, but to go from a "real" camera to this is a tiny bit disappointing...

Alas, we're admiring rainbow trout in the much loved corridors of Cabelas...



And seeking out all elevators and escalators... a shade of gray that my Kaelster can spot from miles away. It is hilarious that he runs like hell to the magical doors of elevators. Crazy little love bug.


We're making a cake for Dax's 8-Month Birthday! Because, really, why not? Besides that lil' one needs to be rewarded for army crawling across the floor for the past month. Crawling and saying Mama and Dada at 7 months... genius potential, don't you think? We might even have a little piece of rainbow chip for breakfast tomorrow morning since we're throwing caution to the wind and living on the edge in psychedelic shades.


And me? I'm kicking up my red shoes here and there during nap time (which could stand to be hung up and replaced with a new version now that I'm looking more closely at their scuffed toes) and tipping back a goblet full of a rosy hued beverage that ya'll know I am intimately familiar with... bring on the sparkling something or other...


It's January...

3 comments:

Mel said...

I think I need those ruby reds!! Cute!
Who says you can only make a cake on someones birthday? Bake on sister, bake on!!
And yes....I own lots of coats! ;-) I just don't like to go to cold places to use them! :-)

Brian and Mary said...

Love the new blog! Sure miss ya..I'm loving' the many animal hats your boys are sporting.. adorable!

Jen McGill said...

Glad to find you at your new address, Amber! I like your MIL's January image. Isn't grey the new red? I actually love January (especially without NSM!). I love the potential of a new start, a blank slate, and getting back to routine. Happy eight month birthday, Dax!