Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Onward and Upward...


Little Man is having a growth spurt. And cutting his top two teeth which makes for some random wake up calls. Last night after just two hours of blissful slumber he woke with a vengeance and a voracious appetite.


I grabbed the little lump from his crib and burrowed down with a bottle and my baby as he lay by my side in the big bed. I soaked in the heat that radiated from his little body and listened to his rhythmic suck and swallow. And then he was gone again... drifted off to dreamland right there in my arms in mere moments; his heavy eyelashes resting against the tops of his cheeks in the shadows of the night. And I held perfectly still and breathed him in and admired my little love.


It was all I could do to muster up the will power to perform one killer crunch and pull myself up and out of our warm cocoon. I cradled his head and tip toed down the hall and laid him gingerly back in his crib. And I lingered. And stared. And smiled. And finally, I clicked on the monitor and padded back to bed.


And I had to write it all down right then. As if I could capture his radiant heat and his lotioned smell and the weight of his little compact body with the strokes of my pen. Because, really, there won't be many more late night feedings. My baby is gettin' big. And it kind of pulls my heart in two in a happy way.


So, Dax Man, Thanks for the snuggle. And Thanks for the throw back to our early days together... I have loved them all. Now, onward and upward...

3 comments:

Chrystie said...

It goes by way too fast, doesn't it? I guess that is why people like you and me take a zillion pictures and frantically blog every little thing. I was looking at some of Arden's baby pictures the other day and it is shocking how much I have forgotten, so keep up the good bloggy work!

Mel said...

You must just wear your camera around your neck! Guess I need to start doing that!
It's so nice when the teething days are over, I always feel so dang bad for them. :-(

Adam and Melisa said...

I had one of those moments with my 4-year-old. We cuddled up in the rocking chair...I started humming...he told me if I hummed he would fall asleep...so I kept at it for another 2.7 seconds...and he was out!