Friday, January 14, 2011

Little Lion Cubs...


I need to give a little shout out to my amazing babies. My little "lost boys" have had fluids pouring from every spout on their angel faces this week and still, they slumber to the hum of their humidifiers all night long, hell-bent on knocking whatever it is that ails them out of their systems. I have been seriously blessed in the good baby department.


But I'll tell you, the week has not been one without some serious moments of worry and sheer humility. I admit to calling my mom, my sister-in-law, my friends and the pediatrician's nurse hotline for the, "Are you sure?" questions and the "Have you tried this" conversations. I also may or may not have called the same crowd (sans the Dr's office) to lament my snotty, puked-on status more than once. Hey, I may have two babies, but I am a newbie to the sick infant and toddler department and even if I had eleven kiddos, I'm not sure I could be completely unshaken when one of them fell ill.


I hate nothing more than the sounds of their little coughs through their monitors and I hold my own breath every time one is carried through the soundwaves and strain my ears for their even sleeping sounds to continue. I feed. I change. I snuggle. And I medicate. I pour my soul into my little men, hoping every feeling of goodness and love will seep deep into their bones and cells, so that today they'll feel better. But more importantly, they'll feel my all-encompassing love for them in their very frames every single day of their lives.


There is just no way to describe the change of your entire person and psyche that comes with motherhood. I know it is a sentiment expressed often - that unwavering, overwhelming love - and I know that mothers all over the world nod their heads in understanding. But I'll say it again, these little lions in my den are my whole world and I would walk through fire to ensure their health and happiness.


Just when you think the pools of love deep in your heart couldn't be more full - they are. And your little babies cause the banks to overflow as they snuggle on one another and commiserate with one another and glance at each other with their sad little cloudy eyes to send messages of pure understanding and love.

Chin up, my little lion cubs... you've turned the corner and the world awaits you.

3 comments:

Chrystie said...

Poor little guys! There is NOTHING worse then sad, sick little tykes. Hope they are feeling better soon (and that you don't catch it!) Hang in there!!

Mel said...

That last pic is the sweetest!!
I hate when my kiddos are sick...I always wish I could take their place.
Hope they get better soon! Those sure are some lucky boys to have you as their mama!

Jen McGill said...

I feel your pain, Amber. We spent all of November and December sick. I think the first few years are particularly brutal as their immune systems develop. Wishing you a speedy recover!