Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hula Hoop-Sta...


I am about to divulge some severely embarrassing information.  But the thing is, my glee/pride/goal accomplishment feelings trump EVEN the embarrassment, although RyGar would possibly definitely disagree that this is share-worthy.  Eh - he must think I have a smidgen of pride left in this bod of mine, but oh, he is sorely mistaken.

OK, so over the Christmas break, I was reintroduced to Hula Hoops.  My mom had several of them at her place for the little grand girlies, and turns out, when you're snowed/frozen in and you get just bored enough, you start to stare longingly at said Hula Hoops and ultimately you convince yourself that Hula-ing must be just like riding a bike.

WRONG
Rad Pictures Courtesy of Daximus who obviously has a future in Photography.

I seriously struggled and I was mystified.  Like, MYSTIFIED as to how I had zero skill at something I used to be able to do without any effort or thought at all.  So, I practiced.  No really, I would buckle down and hula for dedicated chunks of time.  And it became a little silly when my Dad shared my niece's film with me and tried to "coach" me on to Hula-ing greatness.  But it became a LOT silly when we took it to a totally new plane and he would record me on his phone and he and RyGar would point out obvious flaws and pointers from the comfort of their lazy boys and we would review my film and try to implement new strategies.  Are you dying that this became such a lengthy and involved process?  Me too, but give a gal a Hula Hoop and just watch what happens.  It's crazy town.

OK, long, long, long story short.  I invested in my new found passion to the tune of $3 at Walmart and now?  I totally rock at the old Hula Hoop again.  Like kick some trash, join the circus, I might try out for "America's Got Talent" rock your socks off Hula gal.  Yep.  That'd be me.  And I am stoked.  And no lie, it really does give a girl a little core work out AND make her smile like a lunatic all at once.
Not too shabby.


And this... well, this has been a transmission of absolute nonsense that I just had to get out there for no other reason than to share the happiness that is hula hooping.
And maybe to selfishly recruit some other hula-ing mamas that could join me in coordinating outfits on the next call for talent in America.  I mean, how HIGH-larious would that be?

And now my acceptance speech, though, what am I accepting?  Oh right, nada.  I'd like to give a big thanks to my own mama for my pear-shape.  These hips have probably played a key role in my hula hooping success.  And thanks to all my coaches along the way, El Rae, Ryno, Alli (for sharing her film) & let's just throw in good old Coach Madsen to be completely thorough.  I love you all and I wouldn't be here without you.  And a special thanks to the little people in my life...  Kael, Dax & Ace. Mama loves you and I apologize for bonking you on the head as you ran to join me during my hula practices.  You are the best!



And now, I'm off to gather the neighborhood mamas to join me in a little recess game known as Chinese Jump Rope.  Remember that one?  Fetch, makes me smile just thinking about it.

January, you're really doing a number over here.  I mean, who invented you anyway?

5 comments:

Jules said...

Love your blog! This post is a GEM!

The Sutherland Family said...

Nice, i love it! You and Alli need to get together now. She is the Hula Queen! I on the other hand, still have some practicing to do =)

Unknown said...

sign me right freakin up. I am so good at chinese jumprope..man those were the days. and who cares if I gotta wear a pee pad. Although..I will say that my hula skills have dropped drastically..like i used to be da bomb too..guess i need me some lessons from the master now..please teach me!

Kanabites said...

HA! Love it!

Liz said...

hey just think you are getting in some good exercise with a hulahoop right?

Chinese jump rope those were the days!!