Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Growing Gentlemen...

Does the gravity of all you should be teaching your little people ever just hit you all at once?
It did me this past weekend.  And the only thing I can say for certain is that I'm grateful - so grateful -that I'm only required to do it one day at a time over the course of years - and not in some crazy, crash-course, three-day seminar.

That's the thing about me.  I attend a great meeting or I hear of someone who has experienced loss and like a frantic little moth to flame I flutter around thinking "We've got to teach them that stuff is secondary to people" or, "We've got to make sure they know what to do in the event of a house fire" or, "We've got to instill in them a desire to get up and create their own success in life" or, "We need to help them have a relationship with God and know that his love is limitless"... you know, just those little things and about a billion more.
All this while trying to be here.  Where my babies are right now.  Where they need me to be.  Teaching them what it takes to get there one little lesson at a time.  So to summarize, I'd like to exemplify and actually BE the truest form of contentment, dwelling right here in my home with those I love -- AND, like a steadily streaming water hose, express these little bits of wisdom that have been given to me by so many who love me - to them.  And really have them understand it with every cell of their body.  Is that too much to ask?  :)

Well, yes.  Yes, dearie, it is.
Which, turns out, kinda blows.
But without that reality, they would never learn a thing.
'Cause isn't that just the way?
SO... I'll take what I'm given and work with it the best way I know how.  I'll smile and love the bejesus out of everyone around me for every second I'm blessed to do it.  I'll make it work, give it all my passion, and open up that secret part of my heart that says things I really want them to hear despite all the white noise the world offers, and pray that they'll know that they mean more to me than any of this.

Turns out Webster defines "gravity" as the force that causes any two objects in the Universe to be drawn to one another.  THAT, I can live with.  This week, I will be attentive.  I will be funny.  I will tune into their frequencies and really listen to what they have to say.  And I'll do my best to draw them near and make them physically feel my love for them.
Because these tiny gentlemen of ours... I mean, when they were makin' good ones, we somehow called "Dibs" and it worked in a major way.
XOXO.

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Awesome. Awesome. True. True. I sometimes feel the exact same way, and wish I could just download the zillions of things I think my kids could know directly into their little brains. Let's face it, sometimes I am talking and saying what I think is pretty important stuff, and little eyes are wandering around and I am pretty sure only about 2% of what is coming out of my big mouth is actually making it into the little ears.

P.S. Could you please come over to my house and follow my kids around for a couple of days snapping beautiful pictures? I have become a huge picture taking slacker.

Lisa said...

every stinken day i feel that way. a little panicked voice in the back of my head that asks "did you take every opportunity to teach them the important lessons in life" and the answer is usually no. :( boooom booommb