Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Impromptu...


A couple of weeks ago RyGar and I sat down with our calendars (he with his phone and me with my paper) and we blocked off several days for possible mini-family-vacations. No real definitive plans, but dates, a list of "stuff" to do this summer and wide open blocks of time to spend deliciously together.


On Sunday after church we all voted "yay" to going rogue and we packed up to head to our secret hide out. We tossed the bags and the babies in the truck and minutes later the babes were out and we were off... and I was trying to not think of the $100 premo tank of gas we were tossing to the wind. :)

We took the boys to one of our favorite fishing holes.





Our Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn headed straight for the water so we had to occupy our time finding sticks, flowers and rocks and eating snacks. All of which eventually got thrown into the water to scare Daddy-o's lunkers away into the depths.




In summary, not much fishing was done, but the ride in the side-by-side gave us one sleeping camo babe on the ride up the mountain and another on the ride home.

We spent another morning hiking in Capitol Reef National Park.




RyGar packed Big K in one baby pack and I carried Dax Man in another and they looked like two little turtles with just their heads, hands and feet exposed. We saw lots of "zerds" as Kaelster calls lizards and then we interrupted a Bachelor Party that was being hosted by a big old boy of a Desert Big Horn.




We made it all the way to "Hickman Bridge" babies, binkies, belly and all.


The boys were good little sunscreen slathered hitch hikers and Dax even lulled off to sleep near the end of the trail. And the red and white rock formations of one of Utah's finest were beautifully lit by the morning sun.



The usual highlights - swings, horses, four-wheelers, chocolate shakes, BBQs, Grandpas & Grandmas, dirty hands and faces, dusty jeans and diapered hind ends up past bed time were all a part of our impromptu getaway.

And I can't really explain why our little "wild hair" trip has given me such satisfaction and pride. Something about sharing some of our favorite simple pleasures with our little family and doing it all alone and tucking away some of these memories just for ourselves, makes me feel like a mama. And it is hard work to travel with our two one-year-olds... but they're getting the hang of it. And so are we.

And tonight the washer hums and bags are still being unpacked and dinner was Mac n' Cheese. But it was worth it. It is always worth it. Always.

7 comments:

The Belnaps said...

Girl..you are my hero. I went to Capitol Reef with Connor for his class field trip and went on a hike..I totally thought I would pass out and die cause I'm so freakin outta shape and I had no baby on back to carry either..just my fat pregnant self...looks like a fun time.

Amy B. said...

So fun! And I just know you will love those little gem treats on my blog...and it makes enough to give away to friends too!

Brandi said...

We were there last year. It was so much fun. We also love "The Boulders". Good times.

The Sutherland Family said...

Impromptu trips are the best I think! Looks like you had fun, that's cool that you saw some sheep!

Mel said...

Looks like a fun trip! I must say that their are a lot of pretty places in Utah....I'm a little jealous!
So does big K know he'll be hiking and not riding on the next trip? Maybe they make a "double" baby pak? One on front, one on back?

J,B and K said...

Looks like so much fun! I love your blog posts. They are very fun to read.

Liz said...

Good times! I have to point out that by the looks of the one pic you can almost see your whole belly, mine is bigger than yours and I'm 4 weeks behind you! Enjoy your tiny belly & cute boys!! :)