Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Soft Serve...


We had a dreamy afternoon here today. It was sunny and in the sixties. The babies woke up happy from nap time all ready to go out and experience the world. I was feelin' the spring urge and was weeding in between my budding tulips in the front yard while chatting with neighbors and watching playing babes. And then, Daddy-o pulled into the driveway. And the little men lost it trying to climb up his dress slacks with their dirt and cheeto-stained hands to get to their favorite and most unexpected wrestling buddy. Who of course, lifted them both up in the air while they stared adoringly at his smiling face. Cutest view ever.

And though his stay was brief, (he packed his luggage for this week's trip and prepped for the airport) he came back out to the sun and the boys and me to make something good happen. RyGar always makes it count even if "it" is only happening in tiny little spurts during the busiest of times. He rescued me from my green thumb kinda attitude and packed us into the truck for some soft-serve ice cream. Ice cream for no other reason than it was Tuesday and he was home and the sun was shining and there was an extra hour before take-off. And we took new roads and we gazed at new houses and it was leisurely and lovely for all of an hour. Like a Sunday afternoon stroll as a tourist in a foreign place but sweeter because it wasn't Sunday and we were all home.




It's the same reason my Ryno indulges me when I buy all the flavors of syrup for a Saturday morning taste test. Or the reason he grins from ear-to-ear on a road trip when we stop at a gas station that has fresh cheese curd. Or the reason he tells me to "Stop Bein' a Hata" when he knows he's in a little bit of trouble and I'm all huffed up and on my high-horse but will inevitably burst into laughter. Or the way he sings, "Cocoa Butta" like Aaron Neville when I lotion up five times a day. He gets it. The little things in life are where the sweetness is at.







And I am glad that my other half gets it. And I've been thinking a lot about him and the good man that I somehow swooned to be mine. What can I say - I was a convincing little minx and for that I will always be grateful. Especially this month, when we celebrate getting married to one another which was the very beginning of this novel that he and I continue to pen.





We probably won't be jetting off to Tahiti just yet. Busy season still looms over us and takes our RyGar to places other than home. And babies are on the precipice of walking. And we've got Grandpa's birthday to celebrate and Easter to observe.





But still, somehow I know, the big man and I will find a way to celebrate finding one another in this great big ole' world. And we'll serve up something sweet and share it with some soft little cheeks and indulge on life. Even if only for a few minutes at a time. :)


6 comments:

The Belnaps said...

Oh my heck you two are adorable..and all those pics got me to thinkin...I'm pretty sure Nate and I have maybe 2 pics of just us two..so I'm gonna get on top of that as soon as I don't have a billion kids hanging on me..and I totally LOVE FRESH cheese curds...and Nate scored me a carmel popcorn ball from the gas station the other day..what a man!Good for Ry being such a cutiepie..good luck by yourself again:)

Brandi said...

Thanks for the inspiration to take some pictures od me and Jason. I loved seeing those adorable pictures of the both of you. That is so awesome. I love it!!!

Lisa said...

ya ya thats all sweet and good but i did notice that i personally took 3 of the pictures from your montage and i feel like that is really the most important thing about this post! ;)
we love you 2 crazy fools, even if we too only get you in short spurts.

Amy B. said...

Cute pics...like a zillion of them! And I love that Coop is in half of them...hahaha....happy day!

Jen McGill said...

You guys are the cutest couple ever. You've got the patent on cuteness, FO sure! I can't believe that I've never met Rygar. I feel like I have his dimples memorized with all these photos of his adorable grin. Happy Anniversary!

Mel said...

You guys are so stinkin' cute!
Happy Anni this month...hope you do something FANTASTIC!! I can't wait to watch those babes when you head off somewhere beachy ;-)