Friday, May 29, 2015

The Art of Making Potions...

Since the weather has been unaccommodating to "water fun" around here, the boys have reverted to potion making.  It's kind of the same thing, but less "all over wet" and cold.  
I like to think they're whipping me up their best batch of "The magic of being little boys" because no one knows it better than they do.  And this stuff should be bottled and enjoyed for years to come like peaches on a storage room shelf.
I know they'll remember to add in things like a bike or a scooter, because when you're a little man, those "wheels" are your means to explore the world around you.  They would definitely add "weapons" and "matchbox cars" and "cool rocks" -- stuff that always finds a place in their pockets because, you never know when the need for such things might strike. 
They'd mix in lots of innocence - good intentions, benefit of the doubt, fearlessness and lots of happy.  There would be some balls, and some bubbles, and a few squirt guns.  A handful of change, fistfuls of dirt & sand, and probably a few potato bugs and/or lady bugs for extra magic.  And of course, some feisty remarks and a few "swipes" at your brothers because, after all, you're a boy, not a cherub.
(Stir forcefully)
They'll need to throw in some fruit snacks, an otter pop, and probably some "cream cookies" and the contents of a juice box or two.  You want to feel strong and healthy and ready to take on the world at any given moment and you definitely need your sustenance to get the bad guys.
And I hope they save the best for last.  Right before they cork the proverbial bottle on this "Little Man Potion", they'll need to put the magic in.  The stuff that makes the bottle glow... imagination without limits and shimmery drops of belief - in Santa and Superheroes and Leprechauns.  Good over evil and bad guys be damned every time, without fail. 
I swear, I'd keep that bottle of potion in a safe place with me for the rest of my days.  I'd open the stopper and swirl the contents and take deep breaths in and never forget the importance or the goodness of little boy things for the rest of my days.
For now, I'm lucky enough to watch the potion making live and in person.  And try like crazy to soak it all in.  Mess and all.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Potions are universal, I have girls who love to make potions too. I don't give them such a large container to work with, you are nicer than me. Cute pictures, as always!