Thursday, May 21, 2015

Little Rascals...

The first weekend in May I packed up my little gents and headed to the valley I will always call home.  I had an appointment to celebrate my little trio of tiny men.  I am the proud mama to two five-year-olds, and one three-year-old, and the kind of boys they are?  Oh, they are my wildest dreams come true.  I felt such a need to document this phase they are in... a phase of critters and messes and loud laughter and magic and imagination and all the other goodness they hold.  
We went to the winding Sevier river near Big Rock Candy Mountain... and this sounds completely crazy, I know, but it was like an act of baptism.  They threw rocks in the sunlit waters and eventually we let them wade through and I watched and savored, and breathed out prayers of gratitude for them.
And I also tried to sing this song that my own Dad sang to me when I was a girl...
I'll tell you 'bout a land I know
It's not far from here
And every time you blink your eyes
The strangest thing appears

Oh the buzzing of the bees in the bubblegum trees
And the soda water fountain
The lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
On the Big Rock Candy Mountain

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain you never change your socks
And the little streams of apple juice
Come a bubblin' down the rocks
There's no such thing as homework
It's your birthday all the time
You can stay up late and your folks don't care
You can come to lunch in your underwear
In the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Oh the buzzing of the bees in the bubblegum trees
And the soda water fountain
The lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
On the Big Rock Candy Mountain
I love these boys as the gifts they are and I'm so grateful for them...
That night, in the quiet evening light, while they giggled at one another in front of me, I was a proud mother bursting with nothing but love for her beautiful sons.
I will cherish these pictures always, as they represent a dream come true.  My little rascals.  My boys.  Funny, sweet, feisty, precious and full of unyielding determination... they who fully understand and appreciate a magical place in the great outdoors...
And the love and friendship of a brother
a.k.a a fellow Wild Thing.
I love you my little men.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Have I told you how much I adore this Huckleberry Finn photo shoot that you have got going on? If two of my kids weren't girly little girls I would be so jumping on this bandwagon and shamelessly plagarizing your brilliant idea. They are amazing!