Monday, August 26, 2013

Cave Men...

Sometimes I get an idea and I think it is totally the best idea ever until the idea is actually reality.  Do you know what I'm saying?  Let's take for example, my reservation for a Saturday afternoon hike with the fam to Timpanogos Cave.


Beginning with two nappers who were SOUND asleep and had to be roused, shooed and buckled into car seats in a total state of zonk.  Yes, great start.

Followed by a speech from the welcoming park ranger about not collecting anything on the trail as it is all protected, yadda yadda, and not touching ANYTHING in the cave.  GULP.  Have you seen our hiking companions lady?  Thoughts of returning home that very minute were prevailing, is all.


And lastly, there was the ominous sky... filled with rain clouds and pending doom and gloom.

It was your basic recipe for disaster and yet, I put on that, "Oh it's gonna be so fun!" act and hiked forward up the trail.  As did RyGar who was doing the whole, shake his head from side-to-side and breathe heavy disapproving breaths... but I digress.


We started with the dozers in the back packs which lasted for about two switchbacks and Dax flipped out from his perch on high certain that I was going to toss him off my back and down the face of the cliffs.  So, out he came and up the two big littles hiked ALL BY THEMSELVES.  It did require constant encouragement, frequent water stops and a bribe with a piece of gum and a headlamp near the end.  But miracle of all miracles... they did it!  As they would say, "I'm walking SO HARD."  I'm not gonna lie - it makes a mama proud to see her little hike-a-toddlers climbing to the summit.


We arrived way ahead of schedule somehow, which is not good.  We wait terribly... zero patience here.  As is shown by Acey's complete discombobulation outside the cave entrance.  Longest ten minutes of my life.


But then we lucked into an earlier cave tour... Hallelujah.  The little men were SERIOUS about not touching anything and when Ry and I had to duck to get past stalactites they were sure to remind us to "GET DOWN and DON'T TOUCH!"  Who are these little rule abiders?



Long story short... we did it.  And it rained and thundered the entire time we were inside the cave and was sunny and cool the second we emerged.  Livin' Right?  Only occasionally, but if it continues to work in our favor like that... we'll keep it up.


This is how my kids pose for the camera when they can't see my, 
"I'm serious you better look at me and smile eyes"...  


All in All - I'd totally do it again.  And so would the little misters.  They already built a cave today with the couch cushions and pillows and told me they were going into the cave like "Mountain Boys".


Victory Pose, right here.
Victory-Freakin'-Pose.
Good Job Gardner Gang.

2 comments:

The Sutherland Family said...

Yay, you did it! It's pretty fun and the cave feels so good huh?

PNRBAC said...

Ah! Kristen was in town a few weeks ago and she and I thought of attempting this with our seven kids...and then we looked at each other and laughed. Two grown ups to monitor seven unruly children, three of which need to be packed by an adult, with steep trails and cliffs and NO TOUCHING ANYTHING?!
Pass.
So we went to the splash pad in American fork instead. And we tried to track down your phone number because we wanted so desperately to hang with you and the littles but we couldn't get ahold of Kent and that plan failed too. Bummer.
Glad you guys had fun at Timp!