Sunday, April 7, 2013

Kauai, Why-ee Do We Love Thee...


You know how in the game of Monopoly the old "Boardwalk" costs a bundle more than "Baltic Avenue", right?  Well, I think the RyGar and I get why our dream Kauai property was listed at a mere 8.9 million.  The garden state flexed her muscles for us and made us fall head over heels in love.  And if you're going to be booking a flight anytime soon, this is a list of must dos while you're there.

YES, Heck YES, kayak up the Wailua River then hike to the Secret Falls and swim in the amazing water.  You won't regret it.  Pinkie Swear.




In Hawaii's history there were many wars.  The King of Kauai knew that eventually his island would be attacked, and often, enemies would poison food and water sources in order to weaken their opponents before overtaking them.  So, the great King set up an irrigation source that stemmed from this waterfall and had secret gardens, fish ponds and clean waters to feed his kingdom if that ever happened.  To this day, Kauai has never been conquered.
History, I kinda dig good stories in history.




And yes, Heavens Yes, take the helicopter tour around the island.  You will DIE of amazement as waterfalls and rainbows literally sprout out of the mountainsides all around you.  And if you're livin' right you might get a born and raised white guy named Jodi as your pilot who will give you the tour as the "Jurassic Park" theme song plays in the background while he tells you the most romantic of all legends about Hawaii. (And you'll almost want to make out behind him in the chopper)


Dude, I seriously took these photos out the window of a chopper.
Post Card material - that Kauai.




Yes, Oh Yes, do the Kauai Golf Challenge if there is even a smidgen of a golfer in you.  The courses are AMAZING and your hubs will be giddy, child-like, over the moon HAPPY that you took the time to do it.  I am serious - ALL SMILES.


Another name for Heaven for Ryno - The Prince Course - a top 100 Course.


Or the course at Poipu.  Yep, you say that "Poy-Poo" --  Awesome.


And ride along even if you don't golf with him.  Because A) It's cheaper to do that than a lot of other day tours and the views are breath taking and B) Because you would be surprised how chatty and hilarious and ready to buy you snacks your hubs will become when he is in the aforementioned state of delirious happiness.






Do stop to watch the waves a bazillion times.  Because, those waves of the ocean?  I don't know but they almost put me in a trance a few times there.  They are the epitome of power and they make you feel peaceful and introspective and so very little all at once.  


And while you're there, on the beach, walking in the gorgeous sands of Hawaii... always take the time to write love notes.  Because, duh.  Why wouldn't you?





ALWAYS take pictures of island horses.  
If I am a horse in the next life, I am going to be a horse in Hawaii.
In a yellow flowered field that looks out onto the ocean, to be specific.


You could check the weather, but it won't matter if it is rainy, overcast, sunny or breezy... It will change in fifteen minutes and the "rain, wind & overcast conditions" are so mild.  Nothing like the horizontal snows of home.  Why do I love it here?  :)


Do take a few hikes on your own.  You cannot get lost.  And for those of you from my home stompin' grounds, you will marvel at the "red dirt that looks JUST like it does at home"!
And do ask RyGar how many times I said that.
Patient Man.
And do not ask me how many times I tried to launder out our now salmon colored socks.
Patient Woman.



And yes, all the way, YES lay on the beach, by the pool, and on the beach again as much as you can.  


And if you're braver than me and you're accustomed to rip currents and gnarly waves and all sea creatures - go surfing.
Me?
I hear the sound of "Jaws" every time I go into water that is deeper than I am tall.  And did I mention I even hear that sound in my head in, say, Lake Powell when I water ski?
Water wuss.
More accurately Ocean wuss. 
But one can't really blame me when I've been raised in the mountains.  So I tell myself.


Final note.
DO ask more than one stranger to take a picture of you with your lova boy.
Or else you'll have just one gem of the two of you together.
Not that I'm complaining...

I'll ask our parents, but I'm thinking of adding "do go again in a few months" to my "To-Do" list.
I'm guessing they won't quite be recovered from all the babysitting they did while we were away...
But maybe they won't need to be.  Kaelster and Daxi have assured me numerous times that they will be quiet on the "airpwane" and will "keep their seat-bewts on".
Guess we'll have to plan a family outing next...

:)

3 comments:

The Sutherland Family said...

Done! Kaui is on my bucket list =) Love the helicopter pic

The Sutherland Family said...

*Kauai

Chrystie said...

That picture with all the waterfalls is unbelievable. You guys killed it! You make me laugh with your Jaws theme in your head! Last year at Turks and Caicos we were scuba diving. We were getting ready to do a dive and the guide told us that if we wanted, we could swim down a tube in the reef (kind of like a tunnel), "but if you are going down and see a shark coming up, back up fast!" Um, yeah, I didn't go down.