Monday, February 4, 2013

Bug/Windshield...


This weekend I felt the full weight of my duties as a mama to three toddlers come weighing down on me all at once.  It wasn't really any one traumatic thing.  Nor was it lots of little noteworthy things.  Just... life, with three over-tired, active and witty little boys.  


Like, Friday I was a snot rag, a trampoline, a jungle gym, a chew toy, a referree, a cook, a waitress, a maid, a teacher, a cabbie, a nurse, a human wipe, a laundress, a canvas, a swing, a poop policeman, a dentist and, in summary, a hot mess.


And it was just - a lot.  I mean, I don't know what happened in the Universe or if Mercury levels were low or if barometric pressure was high... but somethin' was definitely off here at our casa and the fun factor was fleeting.  And a note to self:  Dax Man still needs a nap.  I tried a day without for the mighty two-year-old in our life, and that one, seemingly innocent afternoon, launched us into a funky orbit for the entire weekend.  


Even the littles felt it as I would yell at them and they would yell at one another or the dog.
Poor Coop.  


Friday night as the water was running for bath time, Kaelster lost his sh%$ at his inability to get his pants off.  You know, it's a tough thing to do when your shoes are still on.  And I bent down to help him and he sighed and proclaimed in a true moment of insight, "I'm just havin' a rough day."

Ditto buddy, Ditto.


Usually we have our little hiccups in the day.  Those moments where you go, "what was that all about?" and then you scratch your head and move on and things even out.  But oh, Friday and Saturday rocked me hard.


So, as the saying goes, "Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug"?  Here was the official rhythm... Friday - BUG, Saturday - BUG, Saturday night, Praise Jesus, WINDSHIELD!  


Here's how it played out... RyGar, boy genius that he is, got us BBall tix and a dinner date and BABYSITTERS in the form of the world's BEST in-laws, EVER and BAM.  Positive Ions all the way around, baby.  I felt like a new woman.  I mean, seriously, one night off from the evening routine and walking into your home past bed time and all that is involved in the dinner/bedtime ritual is just... fabulosity, right?  WINDSHIELD, WINDSHIELD, WINDSHIELD!


Then we had junk food galore in celebration of football's greatest day where I single handedly ate a batch of caramel popcorn which is pretty much near the top of my list of "bucket list" dinners.  And the big and little boys ate wings, chips, dips, relish trays with more dip and "bwu punch" also known as Gatorade.  What is not to like about Superbowl Sunday, I ask?


And here we are.  Monday mania.  And again, the Yin and Yang of life has been restored.  We are happy.  We are full.  We are freshly trimmed with home made hair cuts this morning followed by laundry this afternoon.  And I declare us recovered and ready for a new week.  Furthermore, I am conducting a thorough investigation into the cause of the destruction of last weekend so that it might never EVER be repeated.  Justice will be served.


Amen.

2 comments:

The Belnaps said...

amen to the carmel popcorn..we may be semi-food twins after all..but prolly not..and i totes just ate me a whole carmel popcorn ball. sorry your weekend sooked..heres to a better week.

Chrystie said...

We all have those days (well at least I do). It is uh-maze-balls how much difference a couple of hours off can make. Hooray for babysitters and refreshed mamas! (Those pictures are so good by the way, did you take them yourself? Awesome!)