Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Help...


I jumped on the old band wagon and read the book, "The Help".


I totally loved it. Every little minute of it was entertaining and I highly recommend it -- even though it is all the rage right now. I tend to wait until all the hype is over to join in with the lemmings on things like new books and movies, which is a sure sign of a little stubborn streak. And I wonder where my kids get it?

I still don't know if I'll see the movie because Skeeter and Mae Mo and Aibileen are all perfect creatures in my head and I hate when Hollywood miscasts according to my ideal image.

Anyway, two things happened to me while I was reading this book:

1. I started talking to my babies in a southern accent. No lie, I would say stuff like, "You Mama's Good Boy aren't you..." As I was snuggling with one of my little bugs. Or, "We gonna get you in the tub cuz you all a mess."

What the crud is that about? None of my family is from the south but I picked up on it like an embarrassing little mocking bird.

2. I became a baking machine while I was reading. I created two batches of zucchini bread, cookies, my favorite dessert (named Sex in a Pan, for the record) and then I BOUGHT some Costco croissants... (Law knows I ain't gonna be baking no croissants). All that talk of fine foods and award winning pie and caramel cake turned me into a sorry white version of Martha Stewart.

So there you have it. Some random information on a Wednesday afternoon about a truly great book. Go beg, borrow or steal it today and let the baking bonanza begin. :)

5 comments:

Mel said...

WOW, I must really be out of the loop! Never heard of the dang book, but you bet I'll be ordering on Amazon ASAP!
Nothing better than Costco croissants...my fave!
Wish I could talk in a southern accent, but all my accents sound the same...a little hindu, mexcian! haha! and it's totally embarrassing awful!

The Venutis said...

I'm the same way I hate hype, but WOW could not book this down once I jumped on the bandwagon.

Lisa said...

hahaha...that's funny... gonna have to start using a southern accent, sounds fun :) make me laugh, thanks :) have a good day!

Andrea said...

Giiiiirl... you so funny! I loved this book!

lisa louise said...

ya... loved that book. havent seen the movie yet, but not by choice, time has slipped away from me. but i will see it and let you know if you dare taint your imaginations version of these visionary ladies.