Monday, January 5, 2015

Here Fishy...

Sometimes my kids and I luck into the most amazing field trips ever.  My parents went to see my Uncle Dave while we were down in Wayne Wonderland and Dave said,
"Go get your grandkids and meet us at the fish hatchery!"
You don't have to ask us twice.  Done and Done.
Fish Eggs and Grandpa's little girl hat to get us started.  Lookin' Good Hooky.
But really we got to actually see the fish from egg, to fertilized egg (which I'm sure has a better scientific name like... zygote or something?  I don't know my eighth grade biology is failing me at present), to teeny-tiny fish, to these small fishies to the big dogs.
Grandma Gail and Kael taking a gander at one of the nursery tanks.
Cousin Trev lending a hand to our little Ace Face who was happy for the lift.
The whole lot of us above and the whole lot of "them" below...
This fish hatchery is spring fed so the water is natural and a constant temperature year round... About 40 degrees cold.  The whole idea at this hatchery is to keep the fish disease free and growing at a constant rate.  I was PARANOID one of my little scientists would want to gain some "hands on" fisheries experience.  Hence every single picture of me looks something like this:
And somehow being a Dad means you don't have that "paranoid gene" and instead you put your head down and search for the lunker with the littles.  Sigh.
And holy moly fist bumps all around for creating an educational experience in the midst of holiday magic.  :)  That's going above and beyond the call of parental duty, right?
Thanks again, Uncle Dave and family.  I daresay we have a future biologist or two on our hands.

1 comment:

The Sutherland Family said...

So fun! I'm also diggin grandpa's hat, which was mine growing up ha ha!