Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What is Wrong With Running...

In a word?


RAGNAR


For some reason I got a bee in my bonnet and decided I should become a quasi-hard-core runner again.  I crack myself up, you see.  Anyway, this past weekend, my SIL -- Carrie, Me, Three of my Cousins, One Cousin-in-Law and their two boys, along with some rad Red Rock girls decided we would just go run our hind ends off non-stop for forty-eight hours....  It was... an experience!


It was equal parts exhausting and exhilarating.  You're entranced by the gorgeous scenery and then you are smacked down to reality with the smell of your car and your cramped legs in tight quarters.  You feel so energized & strong & fast and in the next minute so tired & weak & slow.  It is just something else, I tell you.


But now that it's over I have literally talked RyGar's ear off about it, and dang it - I think I might just do it again sometime... you know in another year when he's recovered from managing the home front.  :)  


There's just some magic when you do something pretty challenging and you feel so gosh darn accomplished once you finish.  And these people?  Freakin' Cream of the Crop.
I loved every minute with them!


Now, before you point out our nerdy Harry Potter get ups, let me be clear in saying that we were joking about it... like, "let's make fun of the Harry Potter addicts" and get all goofy with it.  Besides, our sponsor was the power company that my Dad is the CEO of, so we had to fit "POWER" in there somehow.  But low and behold, all the Harry Potter geeks of the world are THE NICEST people on the planet!  I can't tell you how many times we were asked to pose with another runner for a keepsake picture.  They were all giddy and happy and flashing their cameras at us.  And let's be real, it was a small taste of feeling like a rock star with roadies, you know?  And it tasted pretty sweet.


While I was gone, Kaelster, Dax Man and Acers told all our family and friends, "My Mommy is running super fast and super very far."  Then they took off while Ryan did something totally irresponsible like go to the bathroom by himself, and went for their own run around the neighborhood.  No lie, he had to sprint to catch them as they pumped their little arms and showed their obvious inherent skills!  :)  They made it pretty sweet to come home and I am so proud of RyGar, Father of the Year, who wrangled them all weekend mostly by himself!


And that... is probably one of the last big races of the season for me, unlike my new friends, who are doing this all again next weekend on the other end of the state.  I guess they really haven't figured out that these relays are exactly what is wrong with running... or maybe they have it all right. :)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

So proud of you, ya little skinny minny mama!

The Sutherland Family said...

Way to go guys!!

Chrystie said...

Great job! Looks like you had a great time. That is the thing with running...while you are doing it you kind of wonder why you signed up, but after it is over you feel like a superhero or something! And in your case, LOOK like a superhero!

Sarah said...

A) never heard the name Rygar but love it! B) totally jealous you have 3 boys. I have one and LOVE it. and C) we have two lab mixes too but Coop is ADORABLE! Love your blog... new follower! :)

Kanabites said...

I am so glad you did this with us! I had so much fun with you! I hope one day when you are ready to do another crazy thing like this that you pick us again!