Thursday, May 31, 2012

Random Dandom...


This weekend we spent time at our secret hideaway with my entire family. The boys were in Heaven. On the rare occasion when they couldn't actually convince an adult to take them on a four wheeler ride they simply imagined they were riding the trails on their own as they sat atop the wheelers in the comfort of the shaded man cave. It was adorably boyish and I smile just thinking about it.


 I love my family... My little one and my big one. I love talking with my parents and brother and sister. I love talking to uncles and aunts and I love the perspective that talking with different people brings. Ry and I got to take a post baby bed time walk and we laughed about how wild it is to see other couples' relationships and how they divvy life's responsibilities and balance parenting and communicate in their own style. It is interesting to me... Like a science project... A dash more humor there. A tad more empathy here. A healthy dose of sarcasm there... and you get significantly different products by way of relationships. And sleep deprivation? That brings on a whole new onslaught of experimentation... I'll get back to that in a moment.


I think that is one of the most important facets of family. From the get go, a family teaches us about different personalities and skill sets other than our own, and we immediately learn to work with and love those family members despite our differences. And that is kind of a big deal... Learning that not everyone is like you but that they are awesome anyway. And that maybe just maybe you could learn a little about their awesomeness and end up multiplying your own. And you should know one of my favorite toddler phrases of the moment is "That's so awesome!". Anyway before I dive too deep into introspective-ville I shall share another favorite and possibly overused phrase around here... we are up to a lot of "I do it by Yosef" lately.


Everyone is insisting they can be fiercely independent and we vacuum and dig and spray and go potty and army crawl (yep bring on the gates, little Ace is mobile) and drag stools hither and thither to climb to the sprinkle stash or the kitchen aid. It is a bit of a mad dash from sun up to sun down and don't even get me started on my littles wild adventure to the neighborhood park on their own. It makes me frantic. I might be a helicopter mama til they're eighteen because I hate not knowing for a minute where they are. I don't have the gut for it. And in the meantime, I am giving away the Bumbo chair and the bouncer seat and telling myself not to tear up because it's time. My baby season came fast and furious and now, already, parts of it are coming to an end. It feels wild. Period.


I guess the theme of this little disorganized mush of thoughts is that I am learning and just like the littles... it is exhausting to process so much that is new. I am learning to see things from other peoples vantage points including little tiny ones. I am learning that my formulaic approach to the day is sometimes better tossed to the wind for a more spontaneous and exciting adventure. I am itching to try new things with my "few good men" but I'm nervous to let go. Trying to soak it all in and be present and plan for the future. You know... Your standard growing pains? The cure for all this thinking and analyzing? There are three... Take your pick. In no particular order...




1. A good laugh courtesy of Kaelster who during our weekend adventure stashed a Dr. Pepper in his bottom bunk bed and after being tucked in and thinking the coast was clear, he pierced it with his pearly whites for a late night tottie. Oddly enough, big boy could not/would not simmer down until nearly midnight. He has a virgin stomach to caffeine and it's effects. He was WiReD and after I shook my head in disbelief I had to laugh.


2. A sweet little unprovoked comment from Daximus who told me today in the hallway that I was vacuuming, just as he pulled the plug from the wall, "I wuv you aw the way". See those puddles? They are my melting heart. That boy is either sneaky or sweet and either way it is extreme. I reel over at the sweet little somethins he comes up with at the most perfect moments.


3. Bubble your troubles away. I did this last night with my little bath buddy, Ace. That rose petal soft skin, those pudgy pink cheeks, the way his eyes light up when he kicks and sends water splashing every which way. There is something incredibly soothing and peaceful about sharing some prime wind down time with one of your own. And to literally soak him in... Every little detail from new jagged-edged teeth to pudgy little fingers. Pure Heaven.

Hmmmm so how's that for a mid-week overview? Isn't this one of least evocative and completely random-dandom blogs I've written in a while? Sheesh. Good thing there are a few pictures to keep you from getting entirely drowsy. Someone needs to pour something sparkling and catch up on DVR and get the heck outta her head, eh? As the "Arnold once said, "I'll be back."


Xo.

4 comments:

Amy B. said...

I always love your blog posts...perfect in every way!

Mel said...

Such cute men in your life!
What happened to the plethora of suckers that were sent to you?! ;)
OK and your swamp dudes totally remind me of my redneck dudes on Duck Dynasty. Have you seen that one? I have to pee before I watch it because if I don't I really think I'd pee my pants! Hi-lar-i-ous!

Mel said...

You will not be disappointed with my rednecks!! Crazy knuckleheads! haha!
PS...AMAZON baby! Yummy Earth organic suckers---no dyes, no preservatives, just 100% deliciousness!

Chrystie said...

Bummer about the bumbo chair and the bouncer seat. I hate giving all the baby stuff up! But I guess it is on to bigger (and hopefully better) things! Good thing you took so many pictures when the three baby boys were little, because I am sure it was, and still is, a big ol' blur.