Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sugar...

You know that old song that says,
"Sugar in the Mornin'
Sugar in the Evenin'
Sugar at Supper Time."

I don't really either.  That's the only part I know.  I don't know the name of the insightful artist even.
But I think I learned it from my Dad.
Who is the prior generation to me of sugar lovers.

You see, I come from a long line of sugar connoisseurs on both sides.

Grandpa Wood, my Mama's Daddy, would help us start our day off with waffles and four different types of syrup including:
Maple
Boysenberry
Strawberry
And Blueberry

We would also devour toast with heaps of jam because he had at least half a dozen flavors at all times.

A pre-lunch snack?  Sure, that equals a trip to Seven-Eleven for a soda or Slurpee and candy OR a handful of cookies from the always full jar OR several leaves of lettuce with.... yep, sugar on them.
Try it - it's yum-o.

And we ALWAYS made a treat for our evening Poker or Uno games at Grandpa's house.  We pulled honey candy or old fashioned taffy or made Mother Goose Popcorn.  It smelled like a virtual candy shop at Grandpa's house.

Grandma Albrecht, my Daddy's Mama, would offer any of the following treats in the course of a day...
Strawberries and sugar and cream
Tomato Slices and sugar
Grapefruit and sugar
Frosted mini wheats with cream and sugar

Grandma always gave us a couple of dollars for performing super important but really shotty chores like sweeping the front porch or going to collect the mail.  THAT was ours to spend at Jensen's store where I might have single-handedly started the whole, "If you find a star on your Tootsie Pop wrapper you get a free one" rumor because the Jensens ALWAYS gave me another.  I think I was like sixteen when I realized that was just the Jensens.  Sweet folks.

And before bed?  Butter mints by the handful or Werthers candies galore.  My brother and I would "sneak" handfuls all day long and put them in our nightstand drawers to eat all night long.  You're welcome Dr. Christensen, we paid for your kids' college thanks to all those post-brushing binges at Grandma's house.

OK, so there you have it.  I didn't stand a chance at being the picture of health when it comes to eating.  I was raised on the fine granulated stuff and I'll never deny myself of it's deliciousness.

But you know what that means now that I'm in my third decade of life?  Dang it... more time on the pavement.  Which I haven't been doing faithfully at all for the past couple of years that have been fully consumed with babies.  But since I have vowed to carry on a longstanding tradition of sugar affinity, I must make it a habit once again.  And it's actually good.  Good like a loose tooth good.  Like, a little painful, but mostly good, good.  You know?

So that was a long and drawn out way of saying,
"Sugar in the Mornin'
Along with a little run
Sugar at Supper Time."

See, you barely noticed those little edits I made.  Sneaky, Sneaky.  :)  And I'm off.  To pound the pavement, followed by a little taste of sugar.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I forgot about that song.. But we love sugar here too!!

Sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening sugar at supper time, be my sugar baby and love me all the time !! or something like that:)

Lisa said...

yeah, i'm never gonna deprive myself of that goodness either, i mean, what would be the point of carrying on day after day.

Laurel said...

I am so sorry I cannot comprehend...I eat extremely healthy. For example: I had a Twix candy bar for dinner last night with a piece of this yummy cake with fudge for layers, for dessert. Then this morning for breakfast I decided I had better eat something nutritious, so I consumed a rather large square of rice crispy treats with extra marshmallows in them.

Nope. Cannot relate.

The Belnaps said...

if you are the queen of sugar..then I am the king..hello Christensens candy..man i didn't stand a chance. but i did go running yesterday for the first time in forever. sore today. and seriously sugar on lettuce..nast!