Wednesday, April 4, 2012

No Peeking...

  
My spoiled little boys got another unsolicited gift from their honorary neighborhood Grandma, "Nan".  Sure, they don't share the same genes, but as we know first hand, genes are just a small part of what makes a group of people a family and where there is love to share.... there is a family.  Besides, they have picked up on the fact that Grandma Nan is "punny"and that she has some spunk. Everyone in the hood knows that about her... she is funny and spunky with a whole lotta sweet mixed in.  Just how I like 'em.

I digress... Grandma Nan delivered fuzzy little Easter chicks to all three of our little men just because she is adorable and the boys have her fooled into thinking that they are too and I can only guess that maybe she wanted a little dose of crazy?  And here is the scene she walked in to...


- One little man in arms smiling at her from his drool drenched shirt as the door opened.
- Two little undie clad toddlers sporting knit hats and "loin clothes" and that be all... sitting at the tot-sized picnic table enjoying a lunch of Costco pizza and strawberries.
- One wet yard she traversed through to get to said toddlers.  Wet from water you ask?  No No... too predictable.  Wet from gas.  Yes, gasoline.  Long story but we felt the need to empty the gas can that resides in the shed next to our favorite man tool, the lawnmower.  I'm SURE we were just trying to help and not to cause arson.  I'm sure they worked like feverish little ants to get that important work all done before mama returned to actually mow the lawn two minutes later.  And yes, you can be sure that is why they were only wearing their undies at that point.  Amazing.
- One barefoot mama who had just mopped the floor to enjoy it for all of a millisecond and likely had a few hairs out of place and an embarrassing bat in the cave or something similar.  (Also known as cliff hangers or "boogs" if you're my kiddos)
- Additional noteworthy items... five stacks of laundry on the kitchen table, two Starburst wrappers from an earlier treat, and I'm guessing a dozen infant toys strewn about a baby quilt on the living room floor.

Whew.


She's lucky she made it outta here without me throwing a child or a vacuum at her.  :)


Bottom line... sometimes I'm embarrassed to open the door to let other people in.  Because that means they might see some version of inclimate weather here at the Gardner residence and I will have to admit that not always do we have polished wood furniture and smudge free glass.  But really, if the sun was always shining (or in this little analogy, my house) I wouldn't appreciate the rain or the rainbows, right?  So I'm told...

AND... people like Grandma Nan.... they don't bat an eye.  They just drop off Easter chicks and tell you what a good job you're doing and how cute your kids are then they make you laugh and carry on their merry way.


Damn she's good.  Smooches to Grandma Nan, for the gifts, for the visit and for reminding me that all too soon, I'll have a perfect quiet house and I'll miss this chaos so much I'll deliver gifts to cute little neighbor kids just for a peek at crazy.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Seriously?! Grandma Nan sounds AMAZING!!
I laughed at your comment abt the millisecond of a freshly mopped floor! It's so true and so frustrating! I'm kind of a psycho mom when my floor are freshly done--I like to enjoy them! ;)

Kelli said...

ahhh, Grandma Nan is my mom!! Don't worry about what Grandma Nan thought about the condition of your house with those sweet little boys. She probably felt right at home in the chaos. Because I do NOT keep a neat and tidy house like Brandi & Nan do. She probably thought she walked right into MY house!! Although there is only one little boy to love on in my house instead of three! I'm so glad you take time out of your busy life to blog--you make me laugh--hard! I kinda feel like we're friends, but for now we'll just share our "Grandma Nan"!

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh Kelli I love you and Brandi and Grandma Nan... Sheesh - that woman has lovely offspring! :) What a lucky gal you are to have such an awesome family. And now I'm off to blog stalk you so we can be BFFs in cyberland! :)

Andrea said...

I love Grandma Nan - the sweetest, funniest lady in the neighborhood! Ladies like her are a diamond in the rough!