Sunday, May 15, 2011

In the Corner of My Mind...


Is a little tiny town and a little red brick house at the base of some huge mountains where I have made a million or so memories in my life. It's the Wayne Wonderland house which isn't exactly a cabin but definitely isn't a home on a city block in suburbia. It is Heaven in the form of red dirt and canyon and mountain views and minute four-wheeler rides that put you at secret fishing spots.


And my boys' jeans have little clumps of that dirt in them tonight, because we just came home from our secret hiding spot after a weekend filled with mud pies, four-wheeler rides, horses, Grandma & Grandpa, pine cones and brook trout.




My babies are gettin' pretty good at this little trip of ours. They sleep through the night and eat all their veggies and clean up their toys so they can scurry their little bodies back out the door to go "O'Side" time and time again.


And who wouldn't want to hurry outside to play with Grandma?
The.Best.Ever.

My big man especially loves it. I suspect that the return to quiet nature and cool lakes and the "wind chimes" of the trees in the forest is a way in which he can bring balance back to his life after an exhaustingly busy work season. And he needs that therapy just as we all do, so that he can take a moment and realize that he has everything it takes to lead this little army of men and me. That whenever he feels exhausted, confused or at his wit's end.... he can look within and gain strength from his moments of quiet solitude in the mountains.


Nope, Big K isn't going goth - just sampling the sprinkles...



And though they might not know it yet... my little men are graduating to something bigger, grander, more reverent & sacred every single time we visit our mountains. And some day very soon, they'll sit on the rim after hiking in with their Daddy and look at the patchwork quilt that is the world beneath them and gain that breathtaking perspective that the world is big. And that they can do so much in it. And that they are closer to God than they even realize.


And they'll reserve a spot for those memories... in the corners of their minds.

7 comments:

The Belnaps said...

Don't you love getaways!!! Those boys are so stinkin' cute...you are totally in for a life of mud and dirt...and what could be better? Glad you had a refresher..they don't come near enough!

Nett said...

Oh how fun! The times that I spent at G&GC's cabin in Idaho are some of my favorite memories. (although I was fine with leaving the stinky fish to the boys!)

Mel said...

OK...now who wouldn't want to hang out with that Grandma!! WOW...my inspiration to what kind of Grandma I need to be!
Sounds like another fun refreshing vaca!

Chrystie said...

Great post, Amber! You have a bunch of lucky boys there.

Unknown said...

Amber! you make me miss my hometown so very much! I have a tear in my eye as you are relating everything that I hold dear to my heart. Can't wait to go home again...

Andrea said...

What a cool grandma! I'd love to be like her but I'm going to be in my '80's before my kids start reproducing!

Laurel said...

I love this post. It IS a secret spot that does all you say.
And makes you feel just like you described. We don't go as often as we should considering we now have a new "Resort"--as the grandkids call it, to stay at. :)

Love the red dirt!