Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crack Up...


Have you ever busted a gut at your own crazy self in the midst of a teaching moment with a kid? Literally, some times I think I have lost my foul mind. :)

I moved Kaelster's shoes to a basket on the bottom row of the changing table so he could grab his shoes himself. And he does it. The kid understands EVERYTHING we say to him, promise. Anyway, last night I asked him, "Will you please go get your shoes so we can go to the store?" And the little smartie pants came back with two shoes of a different variety.

Here's where I sound like a nut job....

"Oh, Good Job, Kael! Now, most people wear two shoes that match. You don't have to, but most people do. It's kind of a social norm."


He looked at me all puzzled and confused and I burst out laughing (and my little shadow did too as if he totally understood this hilarious joke). I guess for a mere moment I forgot he is 18-months and treated the little bunkin' like a college freshman in Psych 101.

I'm pretty sure he soaked it in though - and cached it away in the shadows of his mind. Heaven help his Kindergarten teacher when he pulls that baby out in a few years. :)

3 comments:

Mel said...

Hilarious! I love when they act like they know what the heck is going on!!
Big K--tell your mom to only give you one option of shoes in your basket so next time there will be no confusion! ;-)

Kimberly said...

Hopefully said Kindergarten teacher will choose to laugh instead of get mad when he gets the rest of the class all riled up with his little jokes! ;) (Or when he tells the teacher that his butt itches and can't make it stop...yes, I did hear that one today. It was great, and I did laugh right then and there in front of the student).

The Venutis said...

Funny!! I'm not always good at dumbing down my words either. I once told kindergartners to cut along the perforated line?!? Yeah they looked at me like what?