Monday, December 14, 2015

Not the Last Christmas Post You'll See...

I traveled home this weekend with my boys.  Mostly because my home, with my parents and the way they "do Christmas" feels most like Christmas to me.  I do almost identical work in my own home as I deck the halls and play music and uphold tradition like a Mama Bear; so I'm sure it all feels familiar to them, but something about being at my girlhood home makes me feel confident that the magic of Christmas will relay right through me and on to them.
It's a strange bridge to stand in the middle of.  Being the little girl of someone and feeling that sense of "There's my mom," and "That's my dad," and beaming as they cook you pancake breakfasts and take you to a Saturday matinee as if you never missed a day of being a daughter at home all your life.  And the flip side of the coin: Being the mama of your own little ones at your own home -- with a babe kicking you from the inside out -- and creating mama magic for them.  I believe they call it nostalgia.  I felt it this weekend.  I hope my people did too.
We started with a long awaited Gingerbread kit.
The boys did all the work themselves.  My mom and I looked on and laughed silently at their faces of concentration and dedicated effort.  A million gold stars, gents. 
And look at that.  It's so fun to let them just go at it and see their faces full of pride upon completion. 
I'm sure with a house full of boys, my years of having them WANT to do gingerbread houses are numbered, so I'll take every single request to do so seriously and I'll light the tree in the background for just the right ambiance.  It's the least a girl can do.  :)
My home town also holds a light parade.  I would be lying if I told you it was anything extravagant... it's not.  But we brew up hot chocolate and bundle up in coats and hats and hit main street to suck up a little more Christmas marrow out of life.
When I first saw this photo I thought Dax was lovingly looking up at me...
Nope - just a firework that went off at that moment.  Silly me.  :)

This year the boys were really into yelling greetings at those folks who were atop the floats and displays.  Which all started out well and good until we progressed from the innocent, "MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!" to the,
"MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU FILTHY ANIMALS!"
Thanks Home Alone for that little killer one liner.
These may or may not be the faces of the culprits.  :)
 Anyway, their favorite displays were "Dusty Crop Hopper" and of course, Santa!
Boy did they yell their friendliest greetings of good cheer for the big man... Or as my Mama said, 
"My how their tunes have changed."  
Somehow they ended on an angelic note -- *I'm totally Team Santa* 
And I snuck this little gem of a Christmas picture later that night, while visions of sugar plums must have been dancing through their little heads.  
And last night, as we finished loading in luggage and hugging our Ryno, I sent off a quick text to my Mom and Dad... "We made it safe and sound.  We're home."

No comments: