Friday, May 30, 2014

The Little 'Mindions' in My Life...


You guys, Tuesday was our first day of summer break and it began rather well.  The little men of my life slept in.  Like they NEVER sleep in.  And then we scrubbed bathrooms together before they went outside to play.  I tackled six loads of laundry while the baby slept in the afternoon and the big boys played in the back yard and ran through the sprinkler.  It was kinda... killer.

Until it wasn't.  Which is totally the way with three toddler boys, you know?

And so it was, I was cleaning up the chaos under my kitchen table - which was epic due to the makings of taco night dinner.  What was I thinking serving shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, hamburger meat and chips?  Obviously, I wasn't.  Disaster.

So, I sent them out the back door to clean up all the yard toys.  Ryno, the hubs, followed suit and went out to trim the lawn while they worked and played in the warm evening sun.  And just a few moments in we both must have sensed the "it's too quiet and we haven't seen a little bod running figure eights in the back yard for a few minutes" so we both stopped our chores...
And then we discovered it.
Big K came running around the corner covered in yellow.  His big bear paw hands were yellow, his back was yellow, his legs were yellow.  He was giggling incessantly and proudly proclaimed, "LOOK!  I'm a 'Mindion'!  Dax made me yellow like a 'Mindion'!"
(That's Minion for those of you not in the know...)

Ace came running around the corner next and he too was covered in paint.  He was also buck naked, but that fact never really surprises us anymore.  #littlestripper

And then Dax rounded the corner... with a bird finger dripping yellow paint.  "Yep, I got paint on me too!" he said.  It was SO obvious what went down - the proof was in the trigger finger, you know?

And so it was that the hubs and I sat their three little heinies on the back porch and gathered together to survey the damage and pronounce the punishment to the little heard of holy terrors.  Handprints decorated the shed wall and a portion of our vinyl fence and they waited nervously for the unleashing of justice - our little shits minions.
It only took us a little while to get over it and laugh.  I mean, what else was left to do?  Don't worry, we did it after bedtime in the privacy of the living room over bowls of cereal - because, when else?

But I'm here to say - for some reason, on this, the first week of summer - there is a healthy dose of the devil in all the kids of the land.  No lie, I've compared notes with friends, sisters and neighbors.  There's an epidemic.  And all I'm sayin' is - we've got to innoculate them against any further shenanigans A.S.A.P. or we're all in for a Loooonnnnnggg Hot summer.
Amen & XO.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Oh MAN, that is a bummer. Those boys sure look proud of themselves! Amber, right now is Dax's LAST half hour of kindergarten, and I am soaking up the fact that there is only ONE kid home, because this is the last time that is going to happen for like, ever. How are we gonna make it through? We should plan a park playdate!! In like, REAL LIFE.