Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mighty Dax...

To write about a special some one's birthday almost leaves me paralyzed.  Because I remember the reverent moments of my babies' births so vividly, and when I think about them I'm transported back to those moments...  Nervous-excited-overwhelmed, listening to the thump-thump-thump of the monitor, shedding tears and smiling and holding Ryan's hand.  Waiting for one of life's greatest crescendos and feeling that unbounded joy of meeting my littles - who look so familiar to me in an instant.
So now, this overly sappy mama must attempt to take every drop of daily reflection and stir it into one beautiful mental montage of who our Dax is, on this, the Anniversary of his birth, FOUR years later.  Oh, what I've learned from him, and how I've changed because of him!  And my goodness, what I want for him, what he means to us, and how he perfectly fits right here in our family in this great spectrum of love.  I mean, whew.  I shall try to tap into his magic and give you a spoonful... a little taste of what makes our Dax Man so mighty, but securing words won't be easy.

Let's just start with a little stream of consciousness... The things I love about you, Dax.  The things that just pop right into my mind when I say your name and picture your perfect face...
Your signature chipped front teeth.  They melt me.

Your hunger to know about the world.  What things are called, what people's names are, where things belong.  To the point of impatience if you don't get quick answers.  You are an ambitious learner and we love that about you.

Your strong little muscle man legs.  You run so fast.  Not all kids can run and we feel blessed you have strong, climbing, (nearly always scraped up) capable legs.
Your lashes.  You are the envy of every female to walk the face of the earth.  And you wear them so unassumingly.

The way you say, "Grandma Jamice" and "That's MIND".  Your vocabulary is so robust and so mature, but every once in a while, we're reminded that you are still so young. 

The mad face you make on command.  Which elicits laughter followed by a smile and a peek at your hidden little dimple.
The absolute bewitching power of your brother bond.  The love you share, the language you speak, the way you look at each other and giggle with one another.  It is magical to me.  You are the middle man - the authentic lover of both your older and younger brothers - and you are SO good at it.

The way you say to me, "I'm Batman" in an understated way.  Talk about conviction, my friend.

Your independence which is this perfectly balanced brew of confidence and caution.
Your hair.  Once a rock star, always a rock star!  That perfectly spiked hair will be with you when you're celebrating birthday number one hundred and four.  

The way you sing without even knowing you're singing.  You have rhythm in your bones and you just walk around with a spring in your step. 

Your sweet way of showing emotion.  You are so quick to share a hug, whisper "I love you" or wave at me from across a crowded room.  Don't ever stop.  Even when you're bigger than me and you're a proud teenager.  Promise?
The way you navigate through life's social interactions.  You are such a PR professional already.  You're quick to find compromise and include others and negotiate for a cause.  Except in church when I'm your teacher - what is that anyway?

Your imagination.  The games you dream up and the commentary you supply.  It's epic.

That perfect little profile complete with your Daddy's ski slope nose.  It's so delicious.

Oh, our fresh little four-year-old... I could go on and on and on.  But mostly, on your fourth birthday, I am wishing for you to have a big, beautiful life.  It doesn't matter where or how you do it, but commit to make it beautiful.  Fill it with laughter and love and people that make you happy and just do your thing.  You are a powerhouse.  Your future is limitless.
I am so, so lucky to be your mama and my love for you is bigger than you could ever imagine.

Happy 4th Birthday, Dax!
XO
Mom

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Awwwww, Happy Birthday Dax! What a lucky kid to have a mom who loves him sooooooo much. Beautiful post!

The Sutherland Family said...

This cannot be true!! Can't believe he is FOUR! Such a handsome one. Happy birthday Dax!