Monday, October 21, 2013

And So It Goes...

Shall we have a continuation of "the hunting weekend Part I"?
OK, Let's.


This past weekend was the deer hunt.  I was the only lucky tag holder.  With four very expectant men/hunting guides.  OK, Acey isn't officially a hunting guide yet.  We've decided that three is the very best age to start a guiding career, so he's not yet entered his rookie season.  And thus, he held down the fort with Grandma Gail and Baby Haven.
Insert cute picture of Ace.  Perfect.  Moving On.


We got all packed and ready to go and off we went to hit up the hills for some delicious jerky meat.
Which I got, but seriously, I kind of feel like the picture isn't even worth posting this year.  I shot the tiniest legal buck I've ever shot?  It's hard to tell since I get "buck fever" and excitedly take aim at anything with horns.  You see, me and patience, we have a long history of not being incredibly in sync with one another.  What can I say... it's still not my virtue.  Just zoom in if you want to see this animal's ginormous rack.... BUT, it was all still considered to be a victory according to my little companions as they excitedly announced to everyone and anyone that they "GOT A DEER!"


The master butcher did his best work and then washed his hands - thank goodness.  I know, I know, this picture looks a little bit Halloween/Dexter-ish what with the bloodied hands, but just know, he was in his finest meat prepping form here.  And the little blaze orange buddies dutifully commentated and asked about body parts during the entire process.  It was all very educational in a sciencey kind of way.  And then they inquired about the "gut pile" and were downright thrilled with the fact that it would be consumed by birds and or a coyote.  "A coyote!  Let's wait and see!" 
It's the circle of life y'all.  


Since the deed was done exactly three minutes after sunrise, we opted to hike around with the boys just to hone their skills a bit more and you know what?  They got it.  Here is a "Where's Waldo" opportunity for you... In this picture they have spotted a deer... can you?


I told you.  They got mad skills.  And their Mama is gonna work on her patience. 
And that's a wrap on Hunting Season 2013.
Tiny buck slayer... Out.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

We are mind twins about a lot of stuff, but I was born a city girl and this is totally out of my comfort zone! I can't believe those brave boys...if I had to watch someone disembowel a baby (oops, I mean strapping) deer I think I might lose my breakfast. Y'all are tougher than me! Good job, mountain woman! Jerky here you come!