Monday, August 3, 2015

Back to Wonderland...

I am fully aware that many of summer weeks are on "sweet repeat".  But listen, a slow learner I am not.  I wouldn't keep going to "our spots" if they weren't claimed as ours for a reason.
Wayne is where my Grandma & Grandpa lived when I was a girl.  And you know, wherever it was you laid your head down at night on warm summer evenings, in fresh smelling sheets from the line, with a secret stash of butter mints (secret meaning:  Grandma looked the other way) and a few crisp dollars in your pocket courtesy of Grandma & Grandpa since you "swept the porch" or something equally easy peasy... well, the magic just doesn't ever go away, you know?
I'm guessing it never will... for any of us.
This year the mountain is CRAZY alive with wild flowers and green sage and leaves aplenty.  We had a wet and cold July and, well, I've never wanted to be "Heidi" and run away to a mountain cabin and frolic in wild flowers in a pinafore so much in all my life.
We didn't do anything extremely exciting.  But the best part of Wonderland is the absence of "planning" or "gussying anything up" too much.  We kind of just "BE" there.  Case in point: 
RyGar hates late summer fishing.  So does my Dad.  But if it's "for the kids" they'll spend an hour or so with their poles in the water.  :)

These little men of mine each caught a fish -- they were of the "catch and release" variety, which took some convincing on the adults' part, but still, that sensation of pole wriggling in hand... they got it.
And when we're in town at the house, it's all about the dirt, baby.  Literally Grandpa's "sand pile" complete with log benches, old buckets and a few old kitchen tools is where it's at.  For HOURS.
Not exaggerating.
 This trip we spent a couple hours at the town pool. It hasn't changed a single bit since I went there as a girl.  I believe the season lasts exactly a month and half.... which is the length of time it's warm enough to be open.  :)  
 I was putting away the sunscreen when I saw the tiniest little man up on the high dive walking like he was on a tight rope.  And I laughed when I realized it was Dax.  I grabbed the camera, thinking I would get a picture of him at the top and the top only since I thought he would be too scared to jump off.
Oh no.  Suddenly, off he went. 

I think it surprised him how long it took him to finally reach the water.  But he repeated proudly at least 47 times and put the peer pressure on his brothers... one who took the challenge and the other who had to do the "decent of shame".  :)
And I never ever ever want to forget scenes like this...

No comments: