Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Bryce is Nice...

This past weekend we traveled south to enjoy the wintery jewel known as Bryce Canyon.
I've been to Bryce many times.  I was lucky enough to have cousins that called that place home.  I grew up hiking to Mossy Cave and playing in the wash below it.
But I have never been to Bryce in the winter.
And boy howdy, y'all would think I had landed on the moon.  You would think I had only ever lived in the completely opposite landscape and had never seen anything like it.  You would assume I was a travel writer hired to sell this place to new tourists.  I took pictures.  (understatement) I captured it's goodness.  I will attempt to describe it with the best words.  And then I'll probably make it into a coffee table book.  It was THAT good.
As much work as it is to travel and take weekend trips with the kids - it's getting easier.  They entertain themselves a lot and they're happy exploring.  And I'm happy watching them be happy.  They hike and they swim and they try it all.  I'm grateful for their adventurous sprits and they're strong bodies and they're brotherhood.  Every parent knows it's easier to do things with kiddos when they have a buddy... And buddies they are.
And Lord knows I've posted PLENTY of swimming pool pics here on our family blog, but you guys...
I adore the way they THROW themselves into the water -- arms out, chests raised, squeals of laughter accompanying their splashes... There is nothing hesitant about any of it.   
Rather they swim enthusiastically, joyously, whole-heartedly...
It's "wicked awesome" to quote them directly.  :)
And now let's move on to the part where I show you my little mountain goats climbing through snow and some of God's greatest panoramas of all time.  This is also known as the part where my editing skills are non-existent... I err on the side of showing WAY too many photos.
You've been warned.

We hiked the Navajo loop.  Complete with switchbacks and huge amounts of snow.  We had to carry Ace just near the end.  I was fine to take my turn and bring up the rear so I could linger longer and stare at these epic scenes.
I'm telling you - You MUST experience the National Parks in the winter.  The crowds are fewer, the land is quieter, the red contrasts perfectly with blue skies and white snow.
It's almost religious.
And plus, you can do this at good old Ruby's Inn...
Or maybe this...
Be scared of "Mad Dog Dax" & "Kael the Kid" there in the front.
"Wild Ace Gardner" is pretty terrifying too.
They're notorious outlaws of the wild west -- the new "Wild Bunch"
And I'm oddly proud to call them mine.  :)
And the best part?  During a time change weekend... no worries.
They were so tired from all their efforts they zonked in mili-seconds and slept well into the morning.
 We'll be back, Bryce.
To hike your hoodoo-rific landscapes again.
Thanks for showing us a great time.

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Okay, okay, I'm convinced! Those pictures are STUNNING! Where do I sign up?

The Sutherland Family said...

SO so CUTE and great pictures! I too am convinced I must see Bryce Canyon with snow on it before i die =)