Friday, November 14, 2014

The First Snow...

Don't you just love how little kids make everything more magical and fun?  Especially the things that we "big kids" might view as mundane?  It snowed yesterday.  The first snow of the season.  There was giggling and ecstatic rushing to put on snow gear and get outside to "taste it".  It was dreamy.
SO we did.
After preschool we drove up the canyon and let it tickle our taste buds.
We touched it... tasted it... let it freeze our fingers...tromped through it...slid in it...and then
requested hot chocolate in the middle of nowhere.
 Which made the first snow of the season feel more like the kick-off to the Holidays and a fresh page in a new chapter, than just a change in the weather pattern.  Another change of season makes us happy for winter things with slightly bigger boys.
AND a tinge of nostalgia too.
But I'm learning well, that there is a difference between having an awareness that time is fleeting and having anxiety that time is fleeting.
I often catch myself saying "They'll never be this little again.  Toddler days are nearly over."
Never.  Done.  Blah.
I'm working hard to replace those words with progressive ones...
We're growing.  Moving.  Learning.  Blooming.  And I'm basking in the gift of time and more time.
But I'll always be a sap.

I swear, just yesterday we had baby Kaelster at a snow covered cabin for the first time riding on a sleigh behind a four-wheeler.  
 
I swear, I saw Dax sit on Santa's lap just last week in his tiny Reindeer sweater, completely and utterly unphased as if he had done it a million and one times.
I swear I saw Ace oohing and aahing under the tree in striped Christmas colored jammies as he rocked and reached and kicked out at the lights and ornaments, just mere moments ago.
It's a change, for sure.  This "growing up into little boys" thing we're in the middle of.  But every day... without fail, I have those moments that mothers have from time-to-time, where I look at my boys and see them as independent beings.  Not just my little sons... but their own selves.  
There will be many people throughout the course of their lives that see them; alone or as a trio, that will recognize the kind, good-hearted, energetic, resilient, smart souls they are.  And those people who cross paths with these little gentlemen will know without a doubt, that at their core, these fellers like to make others feel happy.  And it just makes me smile and think, you will be so lucky to know them.  
Because they are dreamy.  
And magical... like the first snows of the season.

No comments: