Thursday, October 9, 2014

Happy Fall, Y'all...

I told RyGar while he was hunting that his only assignment was to bring me some actual fall foliage or at the very least, some amazing pictures of it.  He gently told me most of the leaves had already fallen on the mountain tops.  
And then I panicked.  "WHAT?  A year with no fall foliage pictures?  Excuse me while I get sick."  And he followed me to the bathroom because the poor guy just can't be sure with me.  :)

But alas, fall has reached the valley.  And sure - it isn't as crisp and quiet as it is in the mountains, but the colors are right.  The textures are perfection.  And the smell is almost the same.
And my boys' little hands and feet, collecting and clomping through the piles of fallen gold, look just as cute here on the valley floor as they do in the tops of the mountains.
SO - we hit the park.  The one with the ducks to feed and the leaves to frolic in.  And a cousin or two to snuggle upon... because, duh... look at our newest!
Yeah - cheers to her, indeed.
Having a house full of boys means they don't get into crafting with me.  I could say, "Let's make wax paper leaf art!" and even in my most excitable tone, I get nadda.  But baking up something fall flavored or raking leaves outside or feeding ducks?  Well hells bells I'll get a trio of eager volunteers every time.
 
So we've pulled out the mini rakes from the shed AND the pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe to make today after preschool.  We purchased mini-chocolate chips in anticipation of our fall snack and our first can of pumpkin puree awaits the action on the countertop.
We've already downed our first batch of carmel apples.  We've lined the porch with pumpkins from our own crop.  And there is a skeleton hanging smack dab in the center of our wreath on the front door.  (Because nothing says "welcome" like a pile of bones, right?) 

This weekend we're going to pick apples.  Maybe we'll even whip up a fresh apple pie just because we can and because little boys should always be given a taste of their fruitful labors.
 
 
Let's see, where was I?
Oh yes, Happy.

I am happy because that is what fall does for me.  I try to swallow the enthusiasm just a little sometimes because a girl getting way too excited about leaves and boots and gourd-loving can annoy people.  I don't aim to be annoying, you know.  I just really, really like this time of year.  And suppressing that joy is like trying to stop a bad case of hiccups or stifle a sneeze.  Not possible.  Or good for you.
And so, behold a bit more evidence that fall is here.  If you could see their pockets overflowing with acorns and other "fall-ish treasures" you'd grin too.  But for now, just smile with me at the knowledge that these last few months of the year bring a new focus on what matters most... our family.  Thanks for opening the door to the holiday season, October.  
You'll always rock my socks off.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

I'm with you! I only wish fall could last 6 months like winter seems to do.