Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Reef...

We decided to make this little road trip full of adventure of the "bigger boy" variety and we took several hikes.  This day found us at Capitol Reef National Park.  
And I've probably documented it thoroughly, but just in case, I have a total love affair with red rocks.  It's something about the way they contrast with those blue skies coupled with the fact that I grew up with that red dirt staining the knees of my jeans and falling out of my socks?  It does it for me.
The little men took turns being "the line leader" and hiked themselves all the way in to see Hickman's Bridge.  It isn't "Rainbow Bridge" but that's what we called it, since I told them it would arc all the way across the sky like a rainbow.  I'm a serious over exaggerator in general, but in this instance, I spoke truth and they have a truth-o-meter and were pretty intent on seeing this rainbow of rock. 
 We were looking for Rams, but I knew a sighting would be unlikely since we don't hike with any degree of stealth.  But you know, we did see five lizards and if you ask my boys we were "this close" to catching each and every one.  :)
When we reached the part of the trail where you veer off to actually loop under the bridge, little Acey had had enough fun for one morning.  He was a free loader for about a 1/4 mile of our hike and then after some water and a little rest, he was back at it.
 These were some proud little mountain goats.  They were in awe.  It's hard not to be.  Mother Nature has a knack for outdoing herself.  I salute her for her insane vistas. 
 And then, on the other side, there was shade.  And we beheld it and knew that it was good.
So we basked in it for a while.  Because we're no dummies.
 On the hike back I bribed them with "throwing rocks in the big puddle" and "picking fruit in the orchard".  It's amazing what makes these little dudes tick, because it completely worked.
 And just like that - there we were - at the orchard of my dreams.  Listen, I would take an orchard, period.  But since I now know there are some that are at the base of these red cliffs, the bar has been risen.  I'm gonna need a red rock orchard.  So let it be noted.
Who doesn't love this place?
I daresay I get why tourists flock here from all over the world.
Ahhh Capitol Reef...
Thanks for scratching our hiking itch and throwing in a heaping side of gorgeous.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Ahh, I love this one. This was on my to-do list for the summer and sadly we didn't make it. Your pictures are awesome. Isn't Hickman Bridge the best? It's so impressive and the hike is doable with the littles. Uncle Don claims he used to ride horses over the top of the bridge. I believe him.
I am definitely bumping this trip back to the top of the to-do list!!