Thursday, December 22, 2011

Over the River...

Let's get real here for a moment, shall we? I have a deep disdain for packing for the little munchkins when said munchkins are awake, lively and "helping". Let me describe the scene for you today... the day we packed for Grandma's house....


1. Three empty suitcases on the couch... for .2 seconds. Then the suitcases magically morphed into bikes, cars, bulldozers, hiding compartments, booster seats and picnic tables. In other words, hell on wheels. Literally.


2. Stacks of clean clothing in three tiny sizes all thoughtfully organized and "coordinated" because when else do you get the opportunity to dress three adorable life sized Ken dolls in coordinating duds? Never - except now... mama is seizing the opportunity. BUT, little men suddenly needed those very coats I was trying to pack, their boots instead of their squeaky shoes, no back to the "skeeky shoes", now a hat. Oui. Why did I think that packing in the living room with snack cups of fishy crackers and popcorn and a movie would distract them? Not to brag or anything, but whatever I do is far cooler than what they are currently doing.
Insert sarcasm - Yay me.


3. Diapers/Wipes/Blankets.... thought I could swoop in and tuck those swiftly away in the "rolly bags" but oh no, why would I want to pack diapers in a nice tidy plastic wrapped bundle? Duh, Mom, one at a time is the way we do it, while swaddled in those fresh blankets and wiping our sticky hands with the wipes you were going to use at Grandma's house. What did you just fall off the turnip truck?


4. The toiletries bag... aka a trove of treasure, the best toy in the world, a bag equal to Santa's in goodness... why? No clue. But we teared up when mama tried to put the toothbrushes, toothpaste, tylenol and lotion away. I am mean. Period.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the fishy crackers have escaped their cups by the dozen (how does that happen?) and half masticated string cheese is found on my living room rug. Fantastic.
And the bathroom that I was cleaning bright and early this morning? Don't even get me started.... And what do I tell myself as I try to keep up the holiday cheer amidst the complete mayhem? "It's worth it.... it's worth it.... it's worth it." But let's be honest, a rather large part of me is saying, "Ba Humbug."

Phew - I feel better. Brought to you by "Life is Good, Amber... Off to Clean the Disaster." But only because Grandma is going to save the day rather shortly. Bless her... and in true cheese-tastic Christmas fashion, "God Bless Us... Every One." :)

1 comment:

The Belnaps said...

Ya you totally need a break..good for grandmas..bless their little, ol' hearts! Man all you need for Christmas morning is some wrapping paper and bows and you are set!