Thursday, August 17, 2017

Road Trip... Take Two

The second half of our "Summer's Over so Hurry and Take a Trip with the Boys" road trip found us in Wayne Wonderland.  
We used Grandpa's red house as the home base for a few excursions including a hike to calf creek falls which was GORGEOUS and probably ranks as my top Utah hike we've done together.  Which is saying something because these boys have trekked.
Whoopsies - that was a tangent... back to Wayne...
The first stop is always Grandpa's garage and the "clubhouse" and the little sand pit that borders it.  Boone has been here before but man this time he got inaugurated into the "Baking Club" and the boys made sure he knew the proper sand to water ratio.  :)
He took his duties seriously and I could not stop watching him stir and dump and repeat.
Play is work and this little man was werkin' hard!
Then they baked me a cake because they just love and adore their mama.  Obvy.
It was my favorite flavor.
We took some time to visit the craw dad pond.  It's funny we still call it that because I think the critters haven't returned since it was washed out, but alas, hope springs eternal. 
We didn't score any craw dads but we did find the mud... And really the water and the mud are where it's at for the boys anyway.  Those reeds, the red rocks, the blue skies and the cumulonimbus clouds of my dreams are where it's at for me as I click mental images and tuck them away in my heart and literal images to share here.
One thing I remember about growing up in this territory is the right of passage it was to go from being a passenger on a four-wheeler to being the captain.  
This trip we held driving and shifting lessons on the wheeler and I let them take it on the dirt roads around the outskirts of town.  They were SO serious and motivated to do a good job.  It was fun to watch them.  One of the things we have said regularly when they ride laps in the yard is, 
"Listen to it... Is it talking to you?" hoping they will hear the subtle differences in the engine sounds so they will recognize the need to shift to a higher or lower gear.
It was rewarding to hear Dax yell out to Ace, "Ace!  It's talkin' to ya!  Listen!"
Also, not mad about the scenery we surround ourselves with for the most mundane of tasks.
This hotel was built by my Grandma & Grandpa.  It was one of two in town that they owned and operated.  I love the mid-century modern design and I love hearing my Dad's stories of helping in the cafe when he was little.  The boys are fond of the ice cream served there.  :)

And I've been saving it 'til "the end"...
Our muddy little man turned nudie baker.
XOXO

No comments: