Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Road Trip... Take One

Every summer when the calendar shows only a few weeks left of those glorious months of freedom I go into this crazy over drive mode.  My chest tightens.  My heart pounds a little faster.  I throw things into suitcases and hit the hills.  Literally.

So per my annual tradition - we did it.  We went light on plans and ended up high on magic.

Our first stop?  The Fremont Indian State Park Museum.  The boys wore the threads, saw the writings on the wall, used a matate and set foot in a pithouse replica.  They liked this more than I imagined they would and as we hiked around the hills they kept their eyes peeled for lizards and arrow heads.
(Boone's Face  LOL  He was not a fan of that hole)
That night we stayed on Monroe Mountain - home to some of the most beautiful views and some fond memories in my heart.  The mountain's deer herd is getting healthy again and we found a couple of bachelors hiding in the forest together growing some big racks.

We carved Boone's name into the family tree this trip -- It's official now, we're keeping him.  :)  And added the year '17 to the boys' growing list of years.


We whittled, smore-d, giggled and hiked around until it was dark out and our fire got puny.  Then the boys did tricks off the bunk bed railings and after many a shenanigan we all finally slept.
As we drove off the mountain the boys took turns adding their part to a fictional tale we all collaborated to create.  Those right there - those hours logged in the car, in the mountains, pool side, hiking through sandy paths... those are the things I hope they'll remember.

I know I will.

No comments: