Monday, October 24, 2016

General Season...

The boys' fall break coincided with the general season deer hunt this year.  It's always awesome when the stars align and this is the case because we can stretch out our little break and include some other fall things, like apple picking right at Grandma's tree with legit apple bushel baskets.
Tangent:  I feel like I want some of these in bulk.  I don't know why... I just think I'd use them to gather my tomatoes and cucumbers and maybe even fold fresh laundry in them.  They're dang adorable and I want them in my life.  
Where were we...
Oh yes, the apple picking.
My boys love this.
I love it.
And you have no idea how heavenly my second fridge smells right now.
It is better than any "apple scented" lotion money can buy + there are cans of Diet Coke mingled in with sweet red apples.  It's fabulous and I'll try to pace myself on both counts.
Next up... the Wayne house.
The boys worked on the clubhouse with Grandpa Hooky and added red paint and black shingles.  Ace asked why they were painting it red and Kael didn't miss a beat... "For Utah UTES, Ace!"
Their indoctrination is coming along VERY nicely, according to Grandpa Hooky.
Tangent: When I was little my Mom cheered for BYU and my Dad cheered for Utah.
Let me tell you something, he made cheering for Utah so dang fun I had no choice.
Even when I went to BYU as a student I could never fully commit to cheering them on.  Sure, their brownies are divine... but cheering the Utes to victory with my passionate Dad is pretty sweet + they win.  Ouch.  That was below the belt.  And yet, true.  :)
Additional Tangent:  Boone found one of his brother's suckers while they were busy working and he quickly hid himself beneath the trailer to enjoy his treasure in peace and quiet.  This kid is gonna be the fastest little genius there ever was in large part due to his birth order. 
And now for the big report.  I'm happy to say that my handsome guide, Ryno Gardner, steered me to this little buck in the first ten minutes of the opening morning of the general season deer hunt.
He knows just how I like to do it.  :)
He spotted it.  I waited for it to be light.  I took aim and bagged this buck with one shot at about 150 yards.  I hiked up to tag him and waited for the rest of my crew.
 The boys came cresting the mountainside in their flame orange and just grinned at me as if I was their conquering hero.  
"WHOA MOM!"
"WAY TO GO!"
And my fave, "When you grow up, you should be in the army because you are SUCH a good shot!"
Thanks, gents.
Then they got to work field dressing it and Ryan dutifully taught them about all the organs and how to "get 'er done".  It is always a fun little moment for me to watch my boys watch their Dad in amazement as they soak in a life skill.
I think I'll keep my fellers -- Every last one of them.
They were actually quiet and still when the time called for such things...
I daresay they're getting it!
The weather was gorgeous and it was really just a nice day on the mountain together.
Tangent:  We met up with my Dad and Uncle Harv for a bit.  I forced them all in the frame together and it's kind of one of my favorite pictures.  They look like one tough crowd, don't they?
Hoods of the Woods...
So named by me. 

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

I was a little confused by your littles' embracing of the Utes, I thought y'all were Cougars! But, hey...it is easier to cheer for a team that wins some games. Its good to have more than one horse in the race.