Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Growing Up...

Yesterday, I was in the throes of making dinner and Ace came down from the playroom and gleefully exclaimed,
"I see a RAINBOW Everybody!"  
Oh man, if there is anything that stops my heart it's one of my little people noticing the world around them and making us all stop and take note too. Tiny humans who press the pause button on life make me giddy.  I stopped chopping.  They all scurried down the stairs to see the beauty in the sky.  We scrambled outside quickly and for a few minutes we just took it all in.  The rain had just stopped.  There, in the gray skies off in the distance, was a rainbow.  And then in an embarrassing show of riches - there were two.  I can probably count on one hand how many times I've seen a double rainbow, and I came from a mama who stopped and took notice of the world around her.  There is something magical and lucky about a giant prism in the sky is what. 

You know what else is kind of miraculous and magical?
Growing things.
The hands of my boys planted our garden for the third year in a row and it makes me feel such a sense of Mama pride.  I'm talking Mother Earth/Mama Bear/Tiny Littles/Planting wee green things and watching it all grow symbiotically.  It's a heavy sense of duty being met and it makes me deliciously happy.  I may be growing some little dudes in the 'burbs, but there's more than a little bit country in them and I love that.
We planted tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, squash and pumpkins.  We're hoping with the good luck that a double rainbow brings, and these little hands to administer TLC, we'll have a rich harvest of sweet things we grew ourselves.  

And somewhere in all of this is a life sermon on growing up good boys, in rich soil, with lots of sun and a little luck and some TLC.
Amen, Preacher.

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Love it! Good job farmer boys (and mama). Let me know if growing them themselves helps the kids to actually eat said vegetables. My kids have recently decided they are against vegetables, unless they are in the form of salsa, guacamole, or carrot sticks.

Holly K said...

I love your posts...they make me happy every day!