Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Some Are Dull & Some Shimmer...

Last night I went to fire up the old treadmill as per my usual post-baby-bedtime routine... and as I donned my wireless headphones and pressed play on some DVRed gem of mine I got nothin'.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch. 

I called technical assistance (which means I went upstairs and fetched the Ryno who was packing his bag for the week) and after a quick inspection he said, "Oh man, this receiver down here went out.  You're SOL, girl.  I'll have to upgrade or switch service when I get back."  Uh Oh.
So... like a dedicated athlete, I pulled off my sneaks, cut a piece of cake, poured a glass of milk and sat next to my boyfriend on the couch.  I'm hardy like that when presented with exercise hurdles. The thing is, it was Monday.  We'd tackled a lot of good things that day... catching up with a friend who was in town for a visit, playing with Grandma, playing with friends, baking TWO cakes because there was a near war regarding chocolate or rainbow chip, and then my attempt at refreshing all the sheets in the house, finishing the laundry and wiping down walls and baseboards per my annual spring cleaning timer that's been beeping in my head incessantly.
So the late evening hours?  I opted for a pass.  And dang y'all... it felt good. A few random notes of interest from this past weekend.  Some of the dull variety, some more shimmery and some totally golden.  I'm talking "rock adjectives" per my little rock collector, Kaelster.  His favorites of the moment are golden rocks or "bark rocks" since Grandma Great gave him a piece of petrified wood for his collection and it darn near rocked his world.
Kael is getting old and wise on us.  He has gained an understanding of history and perspective.  He has been obsessing over our family blog books lately and he has favorite pictures he looks at and laughs about.  He'll say, "Mom, let's look at that picture of me when I was a baby and Daxi was a baby and I bit his finger at the zoo."  Ah the brotherly love.
Dax Man was covered with hives this past weekend.  He didn't seem to be bugged by them.  In fact, he told us he was a cheetah and he was "SUPER FAST" now.  And that's how you deal with lemons when they come your way, ladies and gents.  And as a side note - he may grow up to be the only man in the history of the world that won't suffer from the dreaded man cold?  We can only pray.  :)
Dax asked my Mom after inspecting her forearm, "Grandma are you old?"  to which she replied, "Yep, I'm kind of old.  And you're getting older!  Soon you'll be four!"  And true to form, Dax rubbed his own little forearm with soft skin and said, "No Grandma, I'm not old, I'm pretty new... See?!"
Ace has turned into a frenchman on us.  He insists on kissing both cheeks when he sees us.  I adore it and try to leave and then make an entrance about fourteen times a day so I am greeted with his dual cheek kisses.  You should do it too since he is anything but shy.
He threw a royal fit the other day and I put him in his room and told him I'd check on him in a few minutes and if he was happy he could come out.  When I went to his room and asked if he was ready to be happy he nodded his head and turned around  with the most insincere silly grin on his little face.  I burst out laughing.  He said, "See?  I make you happy, Mom!"  Indeed, little man.
Always a mild adventure in parenting and stamina over here.  Come on down... be our next guest!  Like our rock collection, we promise some moments of golden goodness and others of the dull and rough variety.
Life... it's a good little ride.

1 comment:

The Sutherland Family said...

Nice hat Dax! Oh and bytheway that cake you made for "G & G" was delish ha ha =)