Friday, March 21, 2014

Recovery...

I think we can count ourselves recovered from our vacay.  Isn't it funny how long it actually takes to get all the pieces put back together?  The laundry, the putting stuff away, the cleaning of the car and the e-coli ridden car seats, sorting through the pile of mail, then removing the film of dust that landed upon all your belongings while you were away.  All this and the general "getting back into the swing of things" - it's enough to make you reconsider leaving ever again.
Fine, that was extreme.  
Because I've said it once and I'll say it again... watching my boys on vacation makes me feel so much more connected to the memories of my childhood vacations.  And I realize now, with perfect clarity, that every one of those priceless memories took effort and time and my parents' decision to load up and head out, again.  So much schlepping.  So much love.  :)  
And boy did we schlep last week.  Really, the kids were so cooperative and easy-going but we wore them out and when we returned to the hotel they were tired and would fall fast asleep in mere moments.  I'm not sure on the official formula, but I do know that when a kid falls sound asleep they automatically reverse age by at least a year, maybe two.  Yep, these quiet moments of baby boy sleep adoration gave us an opportunity to travel back to babyhood.  And lemme tell you... It was delicious.

I know these moments must accompany the more boisterous and silly ones amidst all the memory making.  I'm down with that.  Because truth be told, they were some of my favorites.
So we'll do it again.  Sooner rather than later.  Ry and I talked on the drive home amidst the chorus of snores coming from the back of the car about packing our bags and schlepping out of the house yet again for another adventure.  And we'll take pictures of all the smiles between some whining and some dozing in hopes that all these imperfect memories in the making only get better with time.

It's always worth it.  Always.  A memory my kid won't forget?  Sign me up x a zillion.
Feeling grateful, adventurous, and finally, rested and all back to normal.  :)

No comments: