Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Olympic Spirit...

Guys, these little men of mine tried something new this week and it rocked me to my core.
Look at 'em - my little brethren in gymnastics.
Yes, they're at least two years younger than the other kids and yes they thought their performance during warm ups would lead to Gold.  That's one of the things on a LONG list of things that I dig the very most about them.
I think the reason the return to the gym scene resonated so much with me was because for almost all my girlhood years, I spent my days after school in gymnastics classes and all those memories came flying back at me like a Boomerang.  Power tumbling was my thing and I can still remember Mrs. Chivers saying, "Pretend you have an M&M in between your bum cheeks and you gotta squeeze the chocolate right out of that little thing!" This she yelled at me as I flipped and spun down the mat.  I loved her.  Was scared to death of her in some ways, but mostly loved her.

  

I won't lie, I watched "Nadia" about a billion times and dreamt of being an Olympian.  I BAWLED during the Kerri Strug moment - you know the one - the vault landing that broke her ankle and solidified the gold for team U.S.A?   So, you know, gymnastics has a solid spot in my heart.  Once high school started I was off to other more mainstream sports and I missed gymnastics.  But I credit much of my coordination and strength and definitely my competitive spirit to my days tumbling down the mats with my gym rat friends in our little leotards.  The BEST of times.
So, you know, NO leotards in sight, but we've got ourselves some flippers!
And seriously, I wish ALL our boys were just nine months apart and could experience everything together.  Poor Ace almost pulled a muscle (fine make that plural -- mine AND his) straining to get out on the floor with his brothers.  Dang if he doesn't think he's their age - but dang if he's a wee bit too young to be a legit member of the class.  And that's exactly how he felt about it.

SO, for a large portion of class we had to wander the halls of the Rec center biding time and keeping the "Nastis Cu-lass" out of sight and out of mind.  
Our timing to introduce a new sport to the littles is perfect since we'll be tuning in to Sochi to watch the Winter Games and cheer our U.S. Athletes on to victory.  They might make it to the Olympic games -- They might not.  But one thing is for certain... they're gonna have a hella good time in the gym with one another as they train for whatever it is...
 Even if it's just for smiles and a good sweat.
And this Mama's got her Pom-Poms at the ready.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Yay! I didn't know you were a gymnast! I have a couple of little flippers but I am clueless about the whole thing. I just smile and cheer. Poor Acey, he will get there before you know it.