Monday, November 4, 2013

To Da Boys...

I swear, I'm not doomsday - but if I were to unexpectedly pass tomorrow - (you know, maybe as I take an epic road trip with the handsome hubs) I would want a message to come to my most loved lovins' posthumously - maybe, because I'm always one to want the last word, but mostly, because... I adore them so much my teeth hurt.  And they should know that... and get my best bits of advice for them... the best things I've ever done.

So, just to cover my bases....
To My Darling Boys... Including RyGar, the Great,

The main thing to this "life stuff" is just to try to be a nice, happy person.  You already are.  All of you, with just a tiny streak of temper which you've got to learn to only let loose at the right times.  In competition, let that streak drive you, and only in the odd confrontation, where you must stand up for what is right, let that streak give you gusto.  Other than that, be Nice with a capital N.  Yes, just be happy and nice and people will want to be near you.  You will be bright and constant in a world full of dark and muck.


Second, always remember that when you can't think of something to say to someone, ask a question.  We have two ears for a reason, and part of being a good conversationalist is listening.  This will not only help you garnish loads of information quickly and in an interesting manner, but it will let people know that you are someone who can be turned to for a listening ear.  Besides, think of all the amazing stories you'll hear if you simply ask questions... which lead to most peoples' "Once upon a times", and everyone knows that a story beginning with "Once Upon a Time" is going to be downright entertaining.


Third, choose your friends because you feel most like yourself when you're around them.  Choose your love the same way.  Choose someone who the jokes come easily with & with whom you feel like you're in a James Bond tuxedo, when in fact, you're just in a t-shirt.  The people you surround yourself with will either lift you up or bring you down.  That is a fact.  Choose the former.


Life is comprised of two extreme segues:  Amazing and enjoyable times and appalling experiences that will make for amazing anecdotes.  You can get through anything if you can imagine yourself, in the future, telling your family and friends about it around the table as they squeal with increasing disbelief and laughter... "No!  NO!"  Seriously though, your reaction to the most mundane, most awful, most disgusting situations will determine your happiness.  You are all powerful in that regard.  React positively, or as Grandma Gail says, B+.


Work hard.  Stretch your muscles.  Employ your great minds and your strong bodies and don't do anything to poison them.  Sweat in the sun.  Grit your teeth with exertion.  Get mud on your brow.  Then, when you look back at what you accomplished at the end of the day, feel fulfilled and proud.  You will succeed in this life if you just work hard and learn to enjoy doing it.  You've been hard workin' little gents since before you could even toddle around.  I am so proud of your happy-to-be-busy mentalities and your goal-oriented minds.  Keep it up.  There is so little competition.


Be present... like ditch that damn cell phone when you're talking to a friend in the flesh.  Look at your babies' faces as they babble incoherently and memorize the way their little lips curl.  Talk to your love at the end of the day instead of watching some lame rerun.  It all goes so quickly and someday, you'll want nothing more than to be with a friend who tunes you in, or a baby who wants nothing more than your animated response, or your lover whose body you can almost feel radiating heat next to you on the couch in the still of the evening.


And lastly, do little things, big things, anything healthy that makes you feel alive and happy.  For me it was a run in the rain.  A trip to the park with you to feel the sun on my skin and the breeze in my hair.  An ice cold diet coke running down my gullet.  A quiet moment at night to tuck y'all in and then recount the day's highlights as I wrote them all down for you to read with your families some day.  A kiss from your soft lips and your arms around me.  A good scrubbing of a bathroom.  A laugh so hard I cry moment when my stomach muscles ache from exertion.  A thunder storm on a mountain top.  A snuggle in cold winter linens.  A wild and carefree dance to loud music with you.  All of it and then some.  Do it if it makes you happy.  Then do it again just for kicks.


And take care of you.  Because, oh, if you only knew how much my heart jumps at the very thought of each of you.  The way my eyes smile with the mention of your names.  The way my mind rolls through countless happy moments with each of you like a card catalogue being flipped in the wind.  I will always love you - you are with me forever.

Love,
Amber
Mom

P.S.  See you soon!  :)

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

That is so beautiful! Everything you say is true. But, be careful out there. Those boys will appreciate this advice, but will for sure appreciate having you around lots more. :)