Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tootie Foodie...

So guess what?  I've kinda turned into a weird old foodie.  Does that just inevitably happen with all grown ups?  Like, your taste buds kill over and die off the surface of your tongue with sheer exhaustion from PBnJ overload and old age and you start liking "artsy" things that you would never in your life have even pretended to enjoy in your former years?  Geez, I come around slowly to this stuff, but I really think I'm having a moment of personal growth.

Here's what's the what... I am head-over-heels in love with frittatas.  (Which are officially the, "I'm not-coordinated-enough-to-flip-omelettes" version of fancy eggs).  My latest one involved fresh basil, smoked ham, parmesan and tomatoes.  I mean, who AM I?  I almost posted the recipe because I started drooling on the keyboard... but then I remembered, I'm just me, not Rachel Ray.


I also am totally digging new meat marinades that have crazy ingredients and I'm mixing fresh cantaloupe and blueberries with my cottage cheese.  You know, in general, just doing nasty things my Mom used to do, wherein, I would quickly stick my finger in my mouth and feign gagging.


Yesterday, I decided it would only be right to grill an Avocado and squirt a little fresh lime juice on top then add a dollop of Crema Fresca over it.  It was downright fantastic.  The earth is shattering.  I used to make the barfing sound at all Avocados... even in guacamole form.  I'm a class act like that.

So, you see?  We have on our hands, either the Apocalypse (get your weapons) or a woman who is finally coming of age.  You know, lead a horse to water and all that.

Now, let's even out the scales a bit... I did devour a puff of pink cotton-candy over the holiday, one bubble gum flavored shaved ice, and, of course, some Kraft Mac n' Cheese with the littles... and I enjoyed all of those just as much as my basil frittata.  I think.


And on a completely unrelated note but maybe related in that it is child-like?  We braved the water park yesterday.  We were there when the gates opened so we could get in and out and avoid some of the crowd, and victory of all victories... it worked!  I have a strong love/hate relationship with water parks... like equal parts {ewww and fun} & {thrilling and exhausting}, you know?


But regardless, the little people in my world ADORED it and for the most part rocked it out.  Kaelster was an animal.  Acey Boo stayed nice and cool at home with Aunt Kim.  And then there was this one moment with Dax & a plot of mud... let's just say, Daximus does NOT enjoy the sensation of mud between his toes and all toddler ninja skills are null and void when mud meets toes.  Period.

And so, there you have it... lest you thought I was not maturing... I am... but it's all relative.
Congratulations parents... You win.
Again.
:)

3 comments:

The Sutherland Family said...

I want that recipe, so I think you need to share!Is it a quiche? Looks good, and 7 peaks was exhausting, but fun.

Ryan and Amber said...

Well, just for you, this totally difficult recipe...
8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
dash of salt and pepper
Beat well with whisk
Add one cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 C finely chopped fresh basil (has to be fresh)
1/2 C fresh shredded parm
1/2 C finely diced ham steak

Cook at 375 for 25-35 minutes in a pie dish.
Fancy, eh?

The Venutis said...

I have to laugh because I am the same way. I ate cans of frosting and totinos pizza growing up, and hated all things healthy. Now I whip up quinoa and veggies for lunch, and I love it. What the heck?!?