Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Packing it All In...

Am I crazy or does planning for a vacation with only a part of your family leave you feeling... um, doomsday-ish?  Seriously, you should see the exorbitant number of emails I have sent off to family members that will be shuttling kiddos from hither to dither and hosting sleep overs and making meals and kissing ouchies, while I attempt to relax in the rays of the sun with my lova boy.  It would make you wonder if I was planning my own demise on this trip to paradise.  True story.

  


The thing is, you never plan to make your exit.  Heck, I accepted long ago you can plan, plan & plan some more, but you are NOT in control.  What I do know, is I want a contingency plan "just in case".  And saying contingency plan and having my eyes water as I type it, THAT, right there, makes me a mama.  It's my job to assure these tiny, perfect creatures who I skirt under my wings when the wind howls, that everything will be just fine. That Mommy & Daddy will always come back.  That their stays with cousins and Grandparents will be nothing but fun.  And it's also my job to answer all the "what ifs" and "as a precaution" concerns that run through my head as I pack up my snorkeling gear. 
Yep, Hold the Phone Sista... I am a mother.




There is no more "me" or even "me & him".  There is a whole group of us... a family  And I still remember every image of the pink peaceful newborn things that are the "hims" in my life that made us so.  They are the images I go back to when life gets rough and when life feels glorious.  They are the images I let my mind flash to when parenting is hard and I don't have the answers and they are less tiny and I am not the only thing they need for survival.  And these same images remind me how quickly and deeply that love for my "hims" began, and I find perspective and strength hidden in those memories.


I am not the willowy stick-legged teenager whose hips are unfamiliar with childbirth any more.  And though that girl was carefree & happy, this girl woman is completely and utterly in love with motherhood & life; and she wouldn't trade the worries and gray hairs (yep, they have arrived) for a minute.  I am a mother with a partner in life whom I adore.  And that is my identity forevermore.  It is intertwined with thoughts of feeling capable & strong and vulnerable & clouded.  And right now, it makes leaving for a vacation both disconcerting and totally elating.



I'm fairly certain I'll snap right on out of this little mama-guilt induced cyclone of over-planning once I see my first palm tree swaying in the island breeze...  {do you kind of want to give me a high five upside the head with the chair for painting that image?  I get it.  I will accept your cyber "high fives".}  Buuuuttt... for now, let there be worry lines along with a suitcase full of swimsuits & sundresses AND fifteen pages of schedules & itineraries for my little littles and all who will be caring for them.


Whew  :)

2 comments:

The Belnaps said...

you are a fab mama who needs..no deserves a vacay..we all do and just remember to ENJOY the time alone cuz as soon as you get back..bam! no rest for the weary! Have the best time!

Chrystie said...

Hope you have a fabulous trip, Amber! Try your best to relax, sounds like the little men are in good hands. You will miss them like crazy and be so glad to have a break from them all at the same time. Say hi to the beach for me!