Thursday, October 4, 2012

To Sleep or Not to Sleep...


May we please have a public forum on cohabitating?  Cosleeping to be exact?  Please indulge me if you will...

There is a huge bedroom downstairs. Like second master suite bedroom. And I am toying with the idea of putting Kaelster and Dax Man in that room together. Am I crazy?  Is that nuts?  Is it pure genius?  Could I ask any more questions all in a row in a high and inquiring voice?  Oh the vacillating.



My pro list... in a nutshell:
Adorable. First and foremost. How cute would it be to see my two sleeping big littles down there together in matching beds?
Training. Currently when we travel and the boys have to sleep in the bunks at Grampa's or in the same hotel room bed It.Is.Madness.  Perhaps the novelty would wear off and we could all actually sleep whilst on vacation?
Bonding. I relive the conversations I hear them having all the time. It is priceless to hear the empathy in their voices when they recount someone needing a band aid. Or to listen to them giggle about a silly encounter with Coop. I just think that time spent jibber jabbing under the covers is awesome bonding time.  Am I right?


Cons...
Sleep.  It is a valuable commodity people.  Period.
Trouble.  I worry, (Like, tremor a little worry) about the shenanigans that the two of them will bring to fruition. There is mischief in those little minds and as the saying goes two heads are better than one.
Boy Stuff.  Will that room ever really be clean or smell fresh ever again?  This is a legitimate worry.  Any Mom of a male can totally vouch for this.


And so, I ask you - should we or shouldn't we?  
That is the question...


I'm guessing eventually we'll have three little beds all in a row. 
But baby steps, y'all.  Baby steps.

5 comments:

PNRBAC said...

DO IT! The pros highly outweigh the cons and speaking from experience as one whose kids not only share a room, but who myself shared a room MY ENTIRE LIFE - there is nothing like the memories I have of staying up giggling with my sister till we couldn't breathe. The things they learn about sharing space, getting along, and special sibling bonds that are formed and can only be formed with siblings is just too much of a treasure to give up. They'll get used to it quicker than you think. If you're worried, just test drive it for a month or two. Move the beds into the same room and see how it goes before you remodel and buy new furniture etc. Do it. You won't regret it.

Mel said...

I say do it! All three of my boys are in the same room. Yes, I have to get on them sometimes to stop playing and go to sleep and they do wake each other up in the mornings and their room reaks (totally smells like stinky boys) but I love it and they love it! Plus when you put them to bed you only have to go to one bedroom! haha!
It might be madness for the first little bit for them to know it's bedtime not playtime, but they'll eventually get it! It'll be great!

The Belnaps said...

go for it..my girls are fine..just be patient..i know what the heck is that right? but it will be worth it in the end..and you will get another empty bedroom again..ooh the possibilities..good lookin out

The Venutis said...

When I put my boys in the same room they were awful! They never got used to it. I separated them again. One likes to sleep while the other is a night owl, but I have friends that it works great for...it's worth trying. If you get it to work then let me know your secret.

Liz said...

My boys share and sleep much better together !!