Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Fourth of July...


I undoubtedly grew up in the town that throws
the best dang Fourth of July Celebrations ever.


As is evident from our candy pile.
(I told you the babies love 'em a good chase for "Andy")

Remember the scene from The Sandlot when "The Beast" is chasing the crew of ball players through the little town and everyone is out having a red, white and blue feast and chatting it up with their neighbors and then the fireworks show begins overhead and everyone kind of stops running and just marvels at the skies?
Yeah... That pretty much sums it up.
Peace, Love and Patriotism, Baby.





Fourth of July is huge.
Bigger than Christmas huge.
Bigger than my prego belly huge.
And I love it.


And so do these guys (thank goodness)...


I packed every single item of clothing for the little men that was red, white and/or blue and we went ballistic celebrating our country's Independence with my whole fam-damily for the entire weekend. Just how I like it. And all the necessary ingredients were involved: sun, water, snow cones, cotton candy, parades, fireworks, and BBQs.

And Slip n' Slides... How could I forget?





And really, the whole town kinda does this idealized movie scene. We see old friends from school and comment on how cute one an others' kids are. We wave at all the "princesses" at the parade. We get rowdy at the afternoon horse races. We pull out the kiddie pools and the ice cream. We pack around little hot and sweaty bodies to the next thing on the agenda so that they too will have these amazing memories of the "diaper derby" or the "fish grab" or splashing with cousins to stash away forever.



And I swear to you - they love it. The long, hot days and sometimes long nights in slightly cramped circumstances with sometimes tear-stained faces...
it all contributes to the "special-ness" that is a summer holiday.


Ahhh - Fourth of July...
Just 363 days 'til next year.
I.Can't.Wait.


No, seriously... I really can't wait. :)

9 comments:

The Venutis said...

AMEN!!! Love their little USA clothes.

Lindsay said...

Amen for me too! Love RIchfield's 4th!

The Belnaps said...

From the looks of it..you must have been sitting up a block from us..can't believe I didn't see you...I saw the folks and said Hi...looks like you had as much fun as us! Oh and cute shirt and flats :)

Chrystie said...

Looks like so much fun! Gotta love the 4th of July. What cute lil patriots you have.

The Sutherland Family said...

Good times! Love the 4th in our good old hometown =)

Laurel said...

When I finished reading your post I wanted to put my hand over my heart. Seriously.

I love this Country of ours!

gardnerfamily said...

I am so jealous! Since living in Arizona I feel like the 4th of July could come and go without anyone mentioning it. I miss it done up Utah style... parades, fireworks, swimming, BBQs and being outside :)Looks like you had enough fun for us too!

Cami said...

I heard it was BIG down south now I've seen it with my own eyes:) How fun!!! I love your little red chairs out front so cute!

Fab Five said...

Put so very well.... AGAIN! I love your comparison to the Sandlot scene. It does totally feel like that. Wish I would have seen you with your handsome boys and cute pregnant belly. BTW- I stole your pic of fireworks since I was a slacker and didn't take any. Hope you don't mind!