Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Hooky In Da House...

Earlier this week I got to watch 15 new members of the Utah House of Representatives be sworn into office -- My Dad was one of them.
I can't tell you how proud I am of him.  He is chasing a dream.  He is committed to serve.  He is positive he can make an impact.  He will give it his all and enjoy the journey along the way as he represents the constituents in rural Utah that voted for him.
It got me thinking that no matter our opinion regarding our public officers... they have agreed to step up to the plate and take the initiative.  They aren't passive members of society who are content to  simply voice unrest and unhappiness.  They are citizens of the greatest country on earth who believe in a democracy that was Divinely inspired and they choose to serve this great nation.  
So, no matter our opinions about our leaders' hair style, personality, tact, or religious beliefs... we shouldn't degrade them - we should honor their work ethic and their dedication and lend them our support as our elected officers.
We will never all agree - that's the beauty of Democracy.  But we can and should put out positivity.  We can believe great things are coming and it will be.
Dad, you're setting such a great example for my sons.  Thank you for paving yet another path that demonstrates that life is what you make it.  I love that you're a mover and a shaker.  I love that retirement lasted all of a year with you before you jumped head first into your next endeavor.  I love that Mom is ever your supportive partner and best advocate.  What a team.
We're all excited to see what a ride you'll enjoy during your term.
Thanks for letting us play a small part in it.
Watch out world,
"Grandpa HOOKY is in da House!"

No comments: