Friday, January 6, 2017

Boone is ONE...

One year ago I nervously waited in a hospital delivery room to meet our surprise baby boy.
I don't know if it was because he was such a shock, or if I was older and wiser and more aware of the precious miracle that birth is, but man, I had never been so nervous going into the delivery room.
My heart longed for everything to go swimmingly -- so much so, I tied myself up in knots as I uttered silent prayers to the Heavens, more somber than I had been in ages.  Then with gracious hearts, overflowing with raw emotion, we welcomed Boone Raef Gardner, with nary another concern in the room that cold January morning.
He was perfect.
A pink fleshy thing with a head full of black hair, and the sweetest squawks of life I've ever heard.  He nursed like a champ from the beginning.  He slept peacefully without a paci.  He was content to be jostled around, or laid down still, as long as he got to snuggle in on his side.  He was a dream baby and has continued his role as "zen master" in our loud and raucous home all year long.
Immediately, our busy "bigger" boys slowed down.  We hibernated more that winter then we had in their 6, 5 & 4 years of life.  They regurgitated all the things we uttered to our sweet newborn and it made my heart triple in size.  The sweetest murmurings of a home are those sentiments whispered to new babies, and listening to little manly men say them all an octave or three higher to their new brother melted me every single day.
That is the thing I will most remember and cherish about this past year - the way Boone softened us all.  The way he made us snuggle in and gear down.  The way he made us "chase slow".  Even when we were on the go and packing him up for another adventure (because those didn't stop all together) he happily joined the ride and has made us all the more appreciative of our collective gypsy side, by helping us see it all through a pair of curious, ice blue eyes.
I take great pride in my ability to recognize the magical moments in life -- I mean I FEEL them so deeply and I'm so grateful & appreciative for them even as they're happening.  It's also a weakness in that I create irrational fears like, "raising babies is the happiest I'll ever be", or, the time following the holidays known as "regular life" will be mundane and emotionless after such a magical Christmas. It just isn't so, but I have to constantly remind myself I can create the very best life by making choices of happiness every day.
So, even though it's sad that this whirlwind year with our "Baby Boone" has come to a close too rapidly - I have to find joy in the fact that there is more.  I am thrilled that he is progressing and flourishing in this world.  He has been walking for three months.  He is the proud owner of six teeth & a killer wave.  He gives five and big open-mouthed kisses and he giggles every time he finds his "button".  He has some awesome baby babbles & a very clear "mama" & "dada" & "that", which is savvy because he can use "that" for just about everything, and just about anyone within earshot works to retrieve "that" for him.  :)
He will soon talk in full sentences and run around the yard at mach speed.  He will experience so many firsts, like riding a bike & swimming in a lake.  He will taste cotton candy as it melts in his mouth and he will watch the hypnotizing flames of a camp fire lull him to sleep.  He will do it all with a doting crowd of brothers, and a Mom & Dad who are mature enough to enjoy it all just a little bit more because it all changes so fast.
Boone, we love you, buddy.  You've made our lives sweeter than we could ever have imagined.  And because of you - I've learned that it's OK to be both a little sad to put away your first year, but also excited and grateful to move forward and accept time with a vow to live a deeper and fuller life.
Happiest first birthday, little man.
 May all your dreams come true.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Happy Birthday Booner! I can't believe how adorable he is!!!

P.S., I think it is okay to be sad. I know I am constantly fighting a battle every time one of my kids does something for the first time or the last time...the battle between being proud of the progress of my amazing kiddos, and being horribly sad that another phase is over forever. I saw a quote once that said, "Don't cry because its over, laugh because it happened." But I usually do a little of both. :)