Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Last Lazy Summer Mornings...

It's the last week before it begins.  Luckily this year we get to do it in stages...
Kael starts first-grade on Monday which means HOLY MOLY ALL THE FEELS!  I have a kid old enough to be in all day school.  I have legit homework to help with and lunches to pack!
And then I have exactly one week before I send another one of my sweet babies off to the same elementary school for Kindergarten!  And yes, Dax has been ready for Kindi for about a year and half, but now that it's official it seems like we should just red-shirt another year, right? 
Precisely one week after Dax marches into el ed, Ace will head to preschool for three days a week.  Last year he was gone two mornings, and I can't imagine missing his sweet face for three mornings every single week.  But that also means I get to watch his countenance recognize his mama in the pick up line and sprint like Usaine Bolt to show me his latest school work.  And that is where it's at if you didn't know.  My fave.
  So, several times each and every week as the seasons change, Booner Bear and his mama will get to be together.  I feel like God must have known I would panic with an empty house so soon after all the boys came as a litter; so he sent me an extra helping of baby - which for the record is better than an extra helping of any dessert on the planet.
All this to say - we slowed down this week.  We slept in and snuggled in the big bed in morning huddles that didn't break quickly for getting ready routines.  We watched the Olympics together at night as we grilled veggies from our garden.  We played for hours with neighbor friends in the yard.  We ran the track, packed suitcases for our last summer hurrah and forgot about everything "pending" and lived in the present together.
It was wonderful.
They are more than I deserve -- occasionally more than I can gracefully handle -- 
And everything my wishes are made of.  And they're growing up so fast, but oh, so well.
I love you, boys.
School is lucky to have you.

No comments: