Thursday, August 4, 2016

Summer Views...

There's something I would like to confess...
I try to act all, "Oh summer, I love you so much for your spontaneity and your long schedule free days", but let's get things clear... I am a planner and organizer at heart.  I plan and organize the crap out of summer.  And I'm not sad about it, not one little bit.
For example, I organize epic pool bags for long pool days.  I bring all the pool toys, all the pool treats, ice cold beverages, & crisp dollar bills for the vending machines because if we're gonna do it - let's REALLY do it, you know?  We stay for hours.  Their swimming endurance rivals that of Michael Phelps.  They're little dolphins with tanned skin instead of gray, and goggle outlines around their eyes for hours after we've finally pried ourselves away from the cool water.  I love soaking in all that Vitamin D and listening to the tales they tell and watching their latest tricks.
I also plan things for as many days as I possibly can on those mystical summer calendar pages called June, July & August.  I am talking days away with friends, weeks away on adventures, and weekends with family.  I love penciling in things like "Rodeo" & "BBQ" and "Amusement Park".  Whether or not we stick to my original outline doesn't matter, as long as we hit some of our most beloved spots together and we get that precious -- no friends, no chores, no distractions -- time.  Which is becoming harder to come by as we manage a household and schedules for six active and busy people.
I organize meet ups at parks and fun centers and front yards and I'm absolutely OK with it.  Sometimes it's the most basic summer activity, like watching sinewy backs run through the sprinklers, while I sip on a Diet Coke with the babe in the shade.  Other times it's a full-day outing at the zoo or the mini-golf course; complete with ice cream cones and sunburns, and failing patience after hours in the sun with little friends.
I plan pancake breakfasts after we sleep in.  I plan donut runs for long Saturday mornings when the sun rays sneak through the shutters to shed light on the sweetest faces I know.  I plan movie nights and fireworks shows and bike rides and camp outs.  All of it to answer summer's invitation to experience adventure and celebrate the annual season of sun.
Have I mentioned that I am so grateful for this window of our life when all four of my boys still think I'm kind of cool and want to hang out with me --AND I actually get to?  It's seriously the most rad thing ever.  I'll say, let's go meet Ash and her girls at the pool, and they all cheer and say little alpha male things like, "Boo-yah!" & "Yah, Baby!"  That freedom to watch their personalities bloom in the summer sun, like wildflowers, is never lost on me and I am so, so grateful for RyGar for being such a supportive and encouraging husband and daddy-o.
I do a lot of this summer planning under the guise of doing it, "for the kids", but I didn't hate childhood and I'm telling you, being able to relive it is the most amazing gift.  It's like packing coloring books, crayons & snacks to church in a special bag o' tricks "for the kids" then ending up "helping" them color for the bulk of the meeting.  I love revisiting the most magical time of my life through my little groms... which ironically, makes this phase, right now, the most ethereal.  I'm so grateful they'll share this season with me.  
So, Summer... I plan the dickens out of you... and just so happens, I can roll with you too.
One thing is for certain.  I will MISS you dearly, until next time.

No comments: